Mar 31, 2014, 7:41 PM EST
UPDATE: The Mets have signed Abreu to a minor league contract. He’ll report to Triple-A Las Vegas.
5:40 p.m. ET: The Phillies didn’t have any room for Bobby Abreu, but maybe someone else does?
#mets considering adding bobby abreu for OF insurance. likely start at AAA. scouts say he looked decent w/phils in spring
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) March 31, 2014
Seems like any team — especially an NL team — would have a hard time finding room for Abreu. With teams routinely using 13-man pitching staffs, any bench players have to be versatile. And while Abreu may be a lot of things these days — he can still work a walk and hit a mistake — versatile is not one of them. Particularly not on defense.
Injury insurance maybe, if he’ll accept a Triple-A assignment. But not much more.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)