Mar 31, 2014, 7:41 PM EDT
UPDATE: The Mets have signed Abreu to a minor league contract. He’ll report to Triple-A Las Vegas.
5:40 p.m. ET: The Phillies didn’t have any room for Bobby Abreu, but maybe someone else does?
#mets considering adding bobby abreu for OF insurance. likely start at AAA. scouts say he looked decent w/phils in spring
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) March 31, 2014
Seems like any team — especially an NL team — would have a hard time finding room for Abreu. With teams routinely using 13-man pitching staffs, any bench players have to be versatile. And while Abreu may be a lot of things these days — he can still work a walk and hit a mistake — versatile is not one of them. Particularly not on defense.
Injury insurance maybe, if he’ll accept a Triple-A assignment. But not much more.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 43
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 35
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)