Mar 31, 2014, 7:41 PM EDT
UPDATE: The Mets have signed Abreu to a minor league contract. He’ll report to Triple-A Las Vegas.
5:40 p.m. ET: The Phillies didn’t have any room for Bobby Abreu, but maybe someone else does?
#mets considering adding bobby abreu for OF insurance. likely start at AAA. scouts say he looked decent w/phils in spring
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) March 31, 2014
Seems like any team — especially an NL team — would have a hard time finding room for Abreu. With teams routinely using 13-man pitching staffs, any bench players have to be versatile. And while Abreu may be a lot of things these days — he can still work a walk and hit a mistake — versatile is not one of them. Particularly not on defense.
Injury insurance maybe, if he’ll accept a Triple-A assignment. But not much more.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 73
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 13
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 34
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 38
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 350
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (350)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (185)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)