Mar 31, 2014, 7:41 PM EDT
UPDATE: The Mets have signed Abreu to a minor league contract. He’ll report to Triple-A Las Vegas.
5:40 p.m. ET: The Phillies didn’t have any room for Bobby Abreu, but maybe someone else does?
#mets considering adding bobby abreu for OF insurance. likely start at AAA. scouts say he looked decent w/phils in spring
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) March 31, 2014
Seems like any team — especially an NL team — would have a hard time finding room for Abreu. With teams routinely using 13-man pitching staffs, any bench players have to be versatile. And while Abreu may be a lot of things these days — he can still work a walk and hit a mistake — versatile is not one of them. Particularly not on defense.
Injury insurance maybe, if he’ll accept a Triple-A assignment. But not much more.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 28
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 30
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 33
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)