Mar 31, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that Rockies right-hander Tyler Chatwood will be placed on the disabled list with a left hamstring strain. The move will be made prior to Wednesday’s game, when right-hander Jordan Lyles will be called up to replace him and start against the Marlins.
Chatwood actually suffered the injury while legging out a triple during a Cactus League game on Friday. He was able to make it through a bullpen session yesterday, but the Rockies are concerned about doing things like running the bases and covering first base. The hope is that he’ll make one rehab start and return to the rotation on April 12 against the Giants.
Chatwood, 24, posted a 3.15 ERA and 66/41 K/BB ratio over 111 1/3 innings last season. His 58.5 percent ground ball rate was second-highest among pitchers with at least 110 innings pitched.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 7
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20