Mar 31, 2014, 2:44 PM EST
Throughout spring training the widely held assumption was that the White Sox would use Nate Jones as their closer after trading Addison Reed to the Diamondbacks, but manager Robin Ventura avoided making any sort of official announcement and now we know why: Matt Lindstrom is going to be Chicago’s closer.
Jones is probably the better pitcher, but Lindstrom isn’t bad either and has some previous closing experience for the Marlins in 2009 and Astros in 2010. He has 45 career saves, along with a 3.56 ERA, and last season Lindstrom logged 61 innings with a 3.12 ERA and 46/23 K/BB ratio for the White Sox.
These things aren’t set in stone, of course, and odds are Jones will get a crack in the closer role at some point. But for now Ventura will go with the 34-year-old veteran and use Jones in key spots that don’t involve a lead of 1-3 runs in the ninth inning. Depending on specifically how Ventura uses him, that could actually be a more valuable role.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 29
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 62
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)