Your Opening Day Schedule

Mar 31, 2014, 8:25 AM EDT

source:

The first week of the baseball season feels a bit odd compared to the rest of the year. Individual games are analyzed more because we forgot how baseball works (i.e. one game doesn’t matter). Start times are odd — more day games than usual, unexpected off days — so every team can optimize Opening Day gate and TV times and stuff. As such, it’s easy to lose track of who is playing when.

So, while we don’t usually do this, I feel like it’s worth reminding everyone when the Opening Day games are today and tomorrow. Because, you know, Google is for suckers:

Today’s games, all Eastern Daylight Time:

Cubs vs. Pirates 1:00PM, ESPN
Royals vs. Tigers 1:08PM
Nationals vs. Mets 1:10PM
Phillies vs. Rangers 2:05PM
Braves vs. Brewers 2:10PM
Red Sox vs. Orioles 3:00PM, ESPN2
Cardinals vs. Reds 4:00PM, ESPN
Twins vs. White Sox 4:10PM
Blue Jays vs. Rays 4:10PM
Rockies vs. Marlins 7:00PM ESPN2
Giants vs. Diamondbacks 9:40PM
Mariners vs. Angels 10:00PM ESPN2
Indians vs. Athletics 10:05PM

The only two teams not to open last night or today are the Yankees and Astros. Their first game is at 7:10PM Eastern time tomorrow night.

Oh, and in case you need something to get you motivated for today:

GO BARVES

Editor’s Note: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.

1. renaado - Mar 31, 2014 at 8:32 AM

Yes Yes Yes !! I’m watching the Braves on my newly bought MLB Premium! I probably can’t sleep now, I’m so excited !! Just a question are these schedule the same in Pacific time? I live in South East Asia Philippines so i’m wondering if the scheduled time is the same from there to here.

• thetoolsofignorance - Mar 31, 2014 at 8:46 AM

These are all in Eastern Time. I’m way out west. I don’t sleep well so I’m often up by 4:30 or 5 AM. Just in time to catch the Eastern Time posts in the AM around 6 or 7 depending on how bad the night was. You’ll be doing the opposite of me which is staying up late rather than rising early. You are exactly 12 hours off of Eastern Standard Time (EST). So its 8:45 PM there right now. Teams all start playing in the your early AM hours after midnight so your Braves will swing for the fences in earnest at 2:10AM your time on the 1st of April.

• renaado - Mar 31, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Thanks, guess I’ll be drinkin a lot of cofee by doin that from now on.

• spudchukar - Mar 31, 2014 at 10:15 AM

I happened to enjoy your less than obvious reaming of the Braves hitting approach, and agree wholeheartedly. I couldn’t help but think of Dan Uggla as I watched Jedd Gyorko flail away last night. He is a clone. And caused me to decide on the phrase, “that was an Uggla swing” whenever I see that hitting approach, not that it isn’t obvious.

• ch0psuey - Mar 31, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Nice to see a baseball fan on the other side of the world

• renaado - Mar 31, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Yeah man ! We Filipinos are now getting interested in Baseball. Especially during the time when our National team received invitation to play at the World Baseball Classic Baseball interest is goin high in our country right now considering that many young kids are now playing the game here, we may not have won that game though but I say it’s one step closer on how Baseball is now getting more and more noticed here.

• critter69 - Mar 31, 2014 at 9:32 PM

I heard about an expedition to France in the 1950s. It was not to study baseball, but since many Americans know at least a bit about baseball, there were several baseball fans in the expedition. Seems there were several baseball teams in France (thanks to the US troop presence during and after WW I and WW II).

There was a major problem, though. Instead of the runners going to first base by running to the right, they ran what in the US would be to third base. The French has turned first and third around. The problem was quickly corrected.

Maybe the French should have left well enough alone. After all, the French really haven’t had much influence on baseball in the past 55 years.

• Alex K - Mar 31, 2014 at 9:09 AM

If I’m right about the time difference all those games will be on between 1:00 & 10:00 am.

2. mdpickles - Mar 31, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Woohoo! Happy Opening Day everyone!

3. dwrek5 - Mar 31, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Any weather issues today?

• renaado - Mar 31, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Nope, Probably just good Baseball weather.

4. ch0psuey - Mar 31, 2014 at 9:06 AM

I see there is a thumbsdown troll in our midst. Ignore him and enjoy opening day! Think I will be watching Cubs-Pirates on ESPN on tv and streaming the Nationals game to see Strasburg pitch.

5. renaado - Mar 31, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Yeah.. I was wondering about that just now…

6. willclarkgameface - Mar 31, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Since the dopes that run Major League Baseball have decided it’s more important to have FOUR opening days (still calling them Opening Day), this article is a well needed reminder that the dopes that run Major League Baseball are in fact dopes.

It’s all about cash. TV cash. Gate cash. How about just having ONE Opening Day? Baseball is a regional game regardless of what the dopey powers that be like to believe. Only the hardcore fan will come home after a local home opener and watch more games at night and even then, are they REALLY watching?

It’s all very silly. I just want to get to Wednesday so I can resume a somewhat regular baseball schedule. #OpeningDaysIsDicks

7. brockw82 - Mar 31, 2014 at 9:22 AM

What exactly is a BARVE?

• renaado - Mar 31, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Good question… I’ve been searching it in the Internet for a long time now and the only thing I saw there was Star Wars related.

• chadjones27 - Mar 31, 2014 at 10:10 AM

I think because it sounds like, ‘barf’, so maybe barves is the plural of barf

8. renaado - Mar 31, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Holy !! Dislikes are really on a role here.

9. nymets4ever - Mar 31, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Uh…one game kinda can matter, as we’ve seen time and time again in close playoff races.

10. 1harrypairatesties - Mar 31, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Go Cubbies!

11. sportsdrenched - Mar 31, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Happy Opening Day everyone.

The Royals missed the playoffs by 5 games last year. Hell yes every game matters. Which is why I’m going to bitch a lot if Alcedies Escobar, the worst hitter on the team is batting 2nd today. Stop giving bad hitters more plate appearances than better hitters, Ned!

And is that a picture of bunting? Stop Bunting Craig!

12. travisadamsonsports - Mar 31, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Reblogged this on Travie and Seanzie in the AM.

13. Jason Lukehart - Mar 31, 2014 at 11:12 AM

It’s a bummer for Indians fans that the team’s first game of the year doesn’t start until 10:05 in Cleveland. Thanks, Bud.

14. janessa31888 - Mar 31, 2014 at 2:32 PM

The thumb harpy seems to have left only nymets alone. Hmmmmm…….

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (4025)