200 must-follow Twitter accounts for baseball

Apr 1, 2014, 8:58 AM EST

Twitter logo

I know not all of you are tethered to Twitter all day like I am, but if you are — or if you were thinking of wading in but aren’t sure how — Sporting News’ list of 200 must-follow Twitter accounts for baseball is a great place to start.

Now, not all of them are worthwhile. But that’s the thing about Twitter. You follow someone, see if they say interesting things and if not, unfollow them. The overwhelming majority of the folks on that list are good follows and deal primarily — though not exclusively — about baseball. Even Gleeman, D.J., Baer and me. Well, Aaron deals primarily with brunch and dating, but that’s some good stuff.

Shame on them for leaving off Drew and Matthew, though. Although I will admit that when a Cardinals game is on, Drew’s feed gets a little uncomfortable. He totally has a right to have that kind of a relationship with Michael Wacha and Allen Craig. I just don’t see why he has to put it all in our faces like that.

1. bfunk1978 - Apr 1, 2014 at 9:07 AM

As long as Gleeman isn’t dating his brunch, it’s all good.

• kevinbnyc - Apr 1, 2014 at 9:47 AM

To be fair, what would be a better life companion than a great crabcake benedict?

• bfunk1978 - Apr 1, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Touché.

2. sportsdrenched - Apr 1, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Dayton Moore, not the GM of the Royals, but something Gleeman is doing, or should be.

3. garypagetwo - Apr 1, 2014 at 9:37 AM

jerkoffs use twitter

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 1, 2014 at 10:06 AM

They use the comments section of HBT too.

So?

• historiophiliac - Apr 1, 2014 at 10:32 AM

I’m a jerkoff! Yea! First for me. Yesterday, I was a “good sir.” Internet anonymity is funny.

• vivabear - Apr 1, 2014 at 12:36 PM

You must be popular witht he fellas.

• historiophiliac - Apr 1, 2014 at 1:39 PM

I’m no expert, but I would think buckfutter would be popular with dudes. He’s cool. Not sure what you’re getting at there.

• vivabear - Apr 1, 2014 at 2:05 PM

You are correct, good sir.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 1, 2014 at 2:36 PM

I think he was talking to you, his.

• historiophiliac - Apr 1, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Yeah, I was just checking to see if he had the courage to own his sexism. Apparently, he’s a pig and a chicken. (No offense, Chaco.)

• vivabear - Apr 1, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Why do you consider that comment sexism, Histrio? It’s in the same vein as your comment.

4. powershowcase - Apr 1, 2014 at 10:10 AM

No Joe Sheehan….hard to believe.

5. Detroit Michael - Apr 1, 2014 at 11:20 AM

How about if we just ignore Twitter but count on Hardball Talk to pick up anything newsworthy? Works for me.

6. dillongeeescapeplan - Apr 1, 2014 at 11:39 AM

I miss the Fake Michael Kay.

7. eshine76 - Apr 1, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Wow – look at Craig being listed under “National Media” as opposed to “National Blogger.” Getting a little respect from the Sporting News, I see.

8. natstowngreg - Apr 1, 2014 at 12:59 PM

I’m new to this tweeting thing. But hey, if Vin Scully can tweet, why can’t I?

I follow a couple of dozen baseball tweeters (if that’s the correct term). Including HBT and Craig (who hardly tweets at all). I get 5 tweets about everything going on with the Nats, moments after it happens. I get a lot of links by Buster Olney to ESPN’s paywall. (Maybe someday, I might actually pay them. Or not.)

Other day, I actually tweeted something, and got a response from Fake Rudy Martzke. Reminded me of the late ’70s, when Martzke was PR guy for the Buffalo Braves basketball team, and appeared on their telecasts in a leisure suit (at the time, appearing on TV in a leisure suit wasn’t that unusual). This was before Martzke went to USA Today and became ace sports media critic.

Can’t imagine following 200 tweeters. My Android might explode.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester