Clayton Kershaw placed on “submaximal throwing program,” now likely to miss all of April

Apr 1, 2014, 6:53 PM EDT

Either the Dodgers are playing it extra-carefully with their $215 million ace — which would be completely understandable — or Clayton Kershaw‘s back injury is more serious than anyone involved is willing to say. These updates come Tuesday from Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times

That makes it a near-impossibility that Kershaw will be able to return this month to the active roster, and it’s probably even safe to rule him out through the early part of May. Perhaps the Dodgers shouldn’t have allowed the 26-year-old left-hander to throw 102 pitches in his regular-season debut halfway around the world.

This is good news for the Marlins’ Jose Fernandez, who may have just become the favorite for the NL Cy Young Award. Adam Wainwright also now has better odds after last year’s second-place finish.

1. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Apr 1, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Gosh, young pitcher with an injury, who could have foreseen it? It’s good that Dodger have got him tied up for only $225 mil.

• ewyorksockexchange - Apr 1, 2014 at 10:23 PM

“*a* young pitcher”, “*the* Dodger*s*”, and $215 million. In other news, this really hurts my fantasy team.

2. mudhead123 - Apr 1, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Good

3. tfbuckfutter - Apr 1, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Wow, that is a way better way of saying “limited”.

I am supermaximally impressed by the level of double-speak there.

4. echech88 - Apr 1, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Would be a problem for any other team. Since the Dodgers spend like drunken sailors they’ll just go eat Cliff Lee’s salary or something

5. tuberippin - Apr 1, 2014 at 7:53 PM

“submaximal throwing program,” aka long-toss.

• jayquintana - Apr 1, 2014 at 9:49 PM

I’m going to have to integrate “submaximal” into my vocabulary.

• taftfan88 - Apr 2, 2014 at 3:27 AM

Its all about keeping people confused.

6. jburk003 - Apr 1, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Lol

-Giants fan

• stex52 - Apr 2, 2014 at 8:23 AM

Cheering injuries. Classy.

7. bricktop02 - Apr 1, 2014 at 8:13 PM

I was going to ask what the hell a submaximal throwing program is but tuberippin cleared that up thanks. Lol

8. Professor Fate - Apr 1, 2014 at 8:40 PM

One of the nicest players in the game, who happens to be a dominating pitcher, gets hurt and the best some of the “fans” can say is “good” and “lol.” It must really suck to realize your team/favorite player hasn’t got much of a chance unless Kershaw is on the DL. Mudhead and jburk showing all the class they ever had.

• jburk003 - Apr 1, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Laughing at that ridiculous contract, not the injury. Also, I laugh at the paper hype of the Dodgers.

By the way, check out my comment below reminding you AGAIN of how the dodgers do NADA when they get in the playoffs.(Some LA lingo for ya)

Giants have won two World Series in this decade alone, last two playoff appearances = two WS Rings.
      Remind me of your bright logic of how it sucks to be a Giants fan?? LOL.

• mudhead123 - Apr 1, 2014 at 10:02 PM

I’m not a Giants fan, but I respect them. The Dodgers? It’s all Mexican thug fanbase.

• Professor Fate - Apr 2, 2014 at 12:37 PM

jburk-

Because, clearly, the article was about Kershaw’s salary and not his injury. And, clearly, attempting to sidestep the criticism about your post laughing at Kershaw’s injury by citing something in the past somehow justifies the post.

Good work on assuming my statement about not having to face Kershaw for a month was about just your team, as well as assuming there are no Spanish speakers in SF (“LA lingo”). I won’t take your compliment of my “bright logic” at face value because obviously you have no idea what logic actually is, having shown none while trying desperately to back up that truck.

LOL= Loser’s Only Line.

9. sixchr - Apr 1, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Nice contract.

10. mudhead123 - Apr 1, 2014 at 9:27 PM

I dislike the dodgers and their mexican their fans… I hope he has a quick recovery. Is that better it have I offended a wetback?

• happytwinsfan - Apr 1, 2014 at 11:29 PM

you’ve offended me.

• raysfan1 - Apr 1, 2014 at 11:44 PM

I knew it was a matter of time until you started posting overtly racist comments, and you have lived down to my expectations. Now I hope you get banned from this site for it.

• mudhead123 - Apr 2, 2014 at 12:15 AM

It would be called living “up” to your expectations, but I assume you have a damp back and English is a 2nd language.

• happytwinsfan - Apr 2, 2014 at 12:25 AM

well i’m an entirely dry back, thanks to my forefathers, American, and i know from my dad’s okinawa diary that the likes of you ain’t what he fought for, mudhead.

my first language, and shamefully only language, is english. what’s your’s, pig latin?

• raysfan1 - Apr 2, 2014 at 12:29 AM

No, your bigotry is definitely beneath any decent person. Thus, I intentionally changed the expression to you living down to my expectations.

As for your assumption, it’s as stupid and inaccurate as the rest of your xenophobic idiocy.

Try reading the Declaration of Independence and the plaque at the base of the Statue of Liberty, and learn how Americans are supposed to look at humankind.

• mudhead123 - Apr 2, 2014 at 1:27 PM

I wasn’t talking to you Twinks fan. If you want to support the Dodgers and their gang affiliation go right ahead. I stay away from the west coast for a reason.

• Reflex - Apr 2, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Court order..?

• thetoolsofignorance - Apr 2, 2014 at 7:01 AM

Hey “mudhead”

GFY

11. mudhead123 - Apr 1, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Professed fate acts like the dodgers have prevented teams from championships recently. How did gimp back do in the post season?

12. jburk003 - Apr 1, 2014 at 9:47 PM

@professor fate

Nice try. What’ve the dodgers done the last few trips too the playoffs??? Exactly. Nada.

The Giants have won 2 rings in this young decade alone. Last two playoff trips = two WS rings.

Lol, oh dodger logic. Can’t call a giants fan on a darn thing.

• koufaxmitzvah - Apr 2, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Giants fans are awesome. They used to throw batteries onto the field of play so much that Candlestick Park had to create an obstacle course between the stands and the field play. Giants fans are so awesome that when it came time to MLB stepping up and saying We’re Taking This Team to Tampa, it was the Dodgers team that told MLB to Back Off. But what really makes Giants fans so awesome? Why, when they hear about Dodgers players going on the disabled list, they respond by showing us their great sociological breakdowns (i.e. Racism) and their wonderful baseball knowledge (2 WS Championships > 5 WS Championships!)

Stay irrelevant, Giants fans.

13. thesportsguy52 - Apr 1, 2014 at 10:01 PM

All that jelly and no toast.

14. rcali - Apr 1, 2014 at 10:11 PM

All those raised price at Dodger Stadium to pay for a guy to long toss for a month. Ouch. At least there’s Dan Haren!

1. M. Morse (2246)