Apr 1, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
Jose Valverde is expected to take over as the Mets’ closer, but they’ve recalled Farnsworth from the minors to fill a setup role. And if/when Valverde struggles it wouldn’t be a surprise to see Farnsworth get a crack in the ninth inning just based on his veteran-ness and previous closing experience for the Rays (brief as it was).
Farnsworth is 38 years old and threw just 38 innings for the Rays and Pirates last season, posting a 4.70 ERA and 28/10 K/BB ratio.
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 14
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 11
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 53
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 51
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)