Apr 1, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
Jose Valverde is expected to take over as the Mets’ closer, but they’ve recalled Farnsworth from the minors to fill a setup role. And if/when Valverde struggles it wouldn’t be a surprise to see Farnsworth get a crack in the ninth inning just based on his veteran-ness and previous closing experience for the Rays (brief as it was).
Farnsworth is 38 years old and threw just 38 innings for the Rays and Pirates last season, posting a 4.70 ERA and 28/10 K/BB ratio.
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 0
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 2
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 35
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)