Apr 1, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
The Expos drew over 90,000 people to two exhibition games involving two pretty pedestrian teams over the weekend. That has Sean Fitz-Gerald of the National Post assessing where that places Montreal on the continuum of cities without Major League Baseball. He notes that MLB officials were quite pleased with what they saw, but …
And for the foreseeable future, moving beyond the stalking horse phase — the phase where baseball can use Montreal’s name to shake money from cities nervous about losing their teams — will be difficult for Montreal.
That’s the real takeaway here, I feel. At least from baseball’s point of view. Gaining a city that can serve as a plausible alternative for current teams if and when they want to try to shake sweet stadium deals away from their cities. Washington D.C. served in that role for years, but eventually did get a team. Las Vegas, Portland and various places in North Carolina aren’t nearly as attractive as that, or as Montreal could be, in the event someone needs to bluff a move.
Most people in Montreal,I imagine, don’t want to play that role given how their team was taken away under such circumstances. But there’s no escaping that this past weekend — in addition to being an enjoyable one for a lot of baseball-staved folks in the city — put it on the map for such uses.
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 5
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 53
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 27
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)