Proposing to your partner on the scoreboard: more popular than I imagined

Apr 1, 2014, 5:03 PM EDT

Proposal

The website Swimmingly researched how much MLB ballparks charge fans who want to propose at the ballgame. The price breakdown is here. It’s a pretty extreme spread: it’ll cost you $2,500 at Dodger Stadium. It’ll cost you $39 at PNC Park in Pittsburgh. That’s rather extreme on both ends.

Some teams don’t allow you to do it at all. Why? Too many people want to and it monopolizes the scoreboard. From the K.C. Star on the Royals’ reason for not allowing such public proposals any longer:

The team was slammed with so many marriage proposal requests at Kauffman Stadium that it ran out of time and space for them and suspended them halfway through last season . . . “we were just running out of space in the game to have them up there,” says Toby Cook, vice president of community affairs and publicity. “So we just made the decision that we weren’t going to do it anymore.”

I have a girlfriend who is just as much if not more into baseball than I am. And she has told me in no uncertain terms that if I proposed to her at a ballpark like that she’d (a) say no; and (b) kill me. Maybe not even in that order.

Who are these people, then, who think this is such a good idea? Just nothing I ever understood.

1. rollinghighwayblues - Apr 1, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Ahem.

• paperlions - Apr 1, 2014 at 5:43 PM

That version of the Wahoo logo is fantastic.

• jcmeyer10 - Apr 1, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Yah, who thinks clowns are offensive!?

• twinfan24 - Apr 1, 2014 at 8:49 PM

$209, Twins? What does the extra $9 get you? Why such a seemingly random number?

Although, I guess the cost of living really is higher in LA. That’s how you start paying for a billion dollar team. 400,000 on screen proposals and the team is paid for.

2. gothapotamus90210 - Apr 1, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Have a buddy who was able to propose on the warning track surface outside the dugout at CBP. He had to put in a few calls to the Phillies, but they let him do it when they were on the road. Apparently it was pretty cheap, too. Only charged him for the normal price of photos for the jumbotron ordeal

3. Detroit Michael - Apr 1, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Left unsaid is if Craig proposed to his girlfriend in a venue other than a ballpark, whether she still would (a) say no; and (b) kill him. Curious minds want to know this stuff.

4. stlouis1baseball - Apr 1, 2014 at 5:22 PM

I proposed to my Wife many years ago at Busch Stadium II. They had us on the scoreboard…but I didn’t actually propose on the scoreboard. I had Fredbird deliver the ring. He actualy sat next to us for 2/3 of an inning before getting on one knee when the Wife wasn’t looking. Pretty cool deal. Total surprise for everyone in our section. It wasn’t until well after the fact that I found out we were sitting in the Cardinals Organizations seats and they were given to us by the lady that manages ticket sales. I just assumed she gave me the tickets from the team. Little did I know they were her actual seats!
    I send that lady flowers every year at the start of baseball season.

***Now that everyone is on board with doing this and teams actually have pricing charts I am no longer a fan of the practice.***

5. chiadam - Apr 1, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Well, Craig built and programmed his girlfriend. Just cut some wires here and there so she can’t harm him, like in RoboCop.

• zzalapski - Apr 1, 2014 at 6:02 PM

What can possibly go wrong?

6. seitz26 - Apr 1, 2014 at 5:58 PM

I was at an early season White Sox game a few years ago when it very cold and rainy. Over a two hour rain delay before the game started. We only stuck around because we were in the club seats behind the plate (United maybe?). In the seventh, they flashed a proposal on the screen, and my buddy and I were laughing because we were sure there was no way that any girl who wasn’t a huge baseball fan would have stuck around in those conditions. Right about that time we hear people starting to applaud, and it turns out the couple was sitting right behind us the whole time. We would have bought them drinks if a) the drinks weren’t free, and b) they hadn’t stopped all food and drink service in the third inning. Still not sure how that guy got her to stick around without giving away the secret.

7. favrewillplay4ever - Apr 1, 2014 at 6:00 PM

No offense, but I could never propose with others there. I’d want the woman to accept because she really wanted to, not to cave into the pressures of having others around to ridicule her if she said no.

Thankfully for me, my wife (and both of our families) was pressuring me for a couple years before I decided to take the plunge.

• thomas844 - Apr 1, 2014 at 6:51 PM

I agree, I never understood why people do public proposals. I mean, if getting engaged in public makes for a fun, everlasting story for the couple, I think that’s awesome. I would just never want to put someone on the spot in front of tens of thousands of people. I think that just seems unfair to them.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 2, 2014 at 10:01 AM

I think you and Thomas may be concerned where no concern is needed.
      I mean…your points are taken. Sure…if you don’t know the person all that well then yes I can see where this might be “putting them on the spot.” If that is the case…the proposal itself might need to be reconsidered. Each situation varies. In my case…we were together ten years before getting married and we discussed it for a full year prior to my proposal.
      Her saying yes was as sure a thing as the sun rising in the east and setting in the west.
      It took six Months for me to plan it. The surprise (and tears in her eyes)…made all the work worthwile. Hell…not only were some of the Women in our section crying…there were a few dudes with moist eyes.

8. mnwildfan15 - Apr 1, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Hmmm could Craig be a listener of the progrum?

9. anotheryx - Apr 2, 2014 at 2:04 PM

I have to say Tiger’s one doesn’t sound too bad. In fact almost all of those without scoreboard sound pretty good.

10. musketmaniac - Apr 2, 2014 at 4:38 PM

weak, If that’s the way the marriage downhill from here. maybe I should dust off my law degree and specialize in loud obnoxious divorces for weak arrogant f..ks like this.

1. M. Morse (2244)