Apr 1, 2014, 5:03 PM EDT
The website Swimmingly researched how much MLB ballparks charge fans who want to propose at the ballgame. The price breakdown is here. It’s a pretty extreme spread: it’ll cost you $2,500 at Dodger Stadium. It’ll cost you $39 at PNC Park in Pittsburgh. That’s rather extreme on both ends.
Some teams don’t allow you to do it at all. Why? Too many people want to and it monopolizes the scoreboard. From the K.C. Star on the Royals’ reason for not allowing such public proposals any longer:
The team was slammed with so many marriage proposal requests at Kauffman Stadium that it ran out of time and space for them and suspended them halfway through last season . . . “we were just running out of space in the game to have them up there,” says Toby Cook, vice president of community affairs and publicity. “So we just made the decision that we weren’t going to do it anymore.”
I have a girlfriend who is just as much if not more into baseball than I am. And she has told me in no uncertain terms that if I proposed to her at a ballpark like that she’d (a) say no; and (b) kill me. Maybe not even in that order.
Who are these people, then, who think this is such a good idea? Just nothing I ever understood.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)