Apr 1, 2014, 5:03 PM EST
The website Swimmingly researched how much MLB ballparks charge fans who want to propose at the ballgame. The price breakdown is here. It’s a pretty extreme spread: it’ll cost you $2,500 at Dodger Stadium. It’ll cost you $39 at PNC Park in Pittsburgh. That’s rather extreme on both ends.
Some teams don’t allow you to do it at all. Why? Too many people want to and it monopolizes the scoreboard. From the K.C. Star on the Royals’ reason for not allowing such public proposals any longer:
The team was slammed with so many marriage proposal requests at Kauffman Stadium that it ran out of time and space for them and suspended them halfway through last season . . . “we were just running out of space in the game to have them up there,” says Toby Cook, vice president of community affairs and publicity. “So we just made the decision that we weren’t going to do it anymore.”
I have a girlfriend who is just as much if not more into baseball than I am. And she has told me in no uncertain terms that if I proposed to her at a ballpark like that she’d (a) say no; and (b) kill me. Maybe not even in that order.
Who are these people, then, who think this is such a good idea? Just nothing I ever understood.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 70
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)