Apr 1, 2014, 5:03 PM EDT
The website Swimmingly researched how much MLB ballparks charge fans who want to propose at the ballgame. The price breakdown is here. It’s a pretty extreme spread: it’ll cost you $2,500 at Dodger Stadium. It’ll cost you $39 at PNC Park in Pittsburgh. That’s rather extreme on both ends.
Some teams don’t allow you to do it at all. Why? Too many people want to and it monopolizes the scoreboard. From the K.C. Star on the Royals’ reason for not allowing such public proposals any longer:
The team was slammed with so many marriage proposal requests at Kauffman Stadium that it ran out of time and space for them and suspended them halfway through last season . . . “we were just running out of space in the game to have them up there,” says Toby Cook, vice president of community affairs and publicity. “So we just made the decision that we weren’t going to do it anymore.”
I have a girlfriend who is just as much if not more into baseball than I am. And she has told me in no uncertain terms that if I proposed to her at a ballpark like that she’d (a) say no; and (b) kill me. Maybe not even in that order.
Who are these people, then, who think this is such a good idea? Just nothing I ever understood.
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 2
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 11
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 71
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 86
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 24
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)