Apr 1, 2014, 11:33 AM EST
Nats bench coach Randy Knorr was on 106.7 The Fan in Washington this morning. They talked about how he missed out on the Nats’ managerial job and how he decided to stay on as a Nats coach even though he was stepped over.
Knorr’s answer about how he dealt with it all makes me really hope Knorr gets a job as someone’s manager, because he sounds like a fun guy. Here was his morning the day Williams was hired:
“So at about 11 o’clock or so, I got about five phone calls there, so I called a couple buddies of mine and said, ‘Hey, meet me at the golf course. We’re gonna get drunk!
“So we went out there, we started drinking and just having a good time, so I pretty much got it out of my system that day.”
Asked how long it took him to decide he’d stay on as the Nationals bench coach:
“When I got back from golfing, I was pretty ripped. Mike called me, and to this day, I still don’t know what he told me. All I know, at the end of the call he said ‘Matt’s gonna call you.’ I heard that part.”
Now we need a Williams interview in which he says he asked Knorr to clean out his locker and look for a new job, except Knorr misheard him, kept showing up for work and Williams didn’t have the heart to follow through.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 82
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 46
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 31
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)