Apr 1, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
Nats bench coach Randy Knorr was on 106.7 The Fan in Washington this morning. They talked about how he missed out on the Nats’ managerial job and how he decided to stay on as a Nats coach even though he was stepped over.
Knorr’s answer about how he dealt with it all makes me really hope Knorr gets a job as someone’s manager, because he sounds like a fun guy. Here was his morning the day Williams was hired:
“So at about 11 o’clock or so, I got about five phone calls there, so I called a couple buddies of mine and said, ‘Hey, meet me at the golf course. We’re gonna get drunk!
“So we went out there, we started drinking and just having a good time, so I pretty much got it out of my system that day.”
Asked how long it took him to decide he’d stay on as the Nationals bench coach:
“When I got back from golfing, I was pretty ripped. Mike called me, and to this day, I still don’t know what he told me. All I know, at the end of the call he said ‘Matt’s gonna call you.’ I heard that part.”
Now we need a Williams interview in which he says he asked Knorr to clean out his locker and look for a new job, except Knorr misheard him, kept showing up for work and Williams didn’t have the heart to follow through.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)