Apr 1, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
Nats bench coach Randy Knorr was on 106.7 The Fan in Washington this morning. They talked about how he missed out on the Nats’ managerial job and how he decided to stay on as a Nats coach even though he was stepped over.
Knorr’s answer about how he dealt with it all makes me really hope Knorr gets a job as someone’s manager, because he sounds like a fun guy. Here was his morning the day Williams was hired:
“So at about 11 o’clock or so, I got about five phone calls there, so I called a couple buddies of mine and said, ‘Hey, meet me at the golf course. We’re gonna get drunk!
“So we went out there, we started drinking and just having a good time, so I pretty much got it out of my system that day.”
Asked how long it took him to decide he’d stay on as the Nationals bench coach:
“When I got back from golfing, I was pretty ripped. Mike called me, and to this day, I still don’t know what he told me. All I know, at the end of the call he said ‘Matt’s gonna call you.’ I heard that part.”
Now we need a Williams interview in which he says he asked Knorr to clean out his locker and look for a new job, except Knorr misheard him, kept showing up for work and Williams didn’t have the heart to follow through.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 17
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 10
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)