Apr 1, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
Nats bench coach Randy Knorr was on 106.7 The Fan in Washington this morning. They talked about how he missed out on the Nats’ managerial job and how he decided to stay on as a Nats coach even though he was stepped over.
Knorr’s answer about how he dealt with it all makes me really hope Knorr gets a job as someone’s manager, because he sounds like a fun guy. Here was his morning the day Williams was hired:
“So at about 11 o’clock or so, I got about five phone calls there, so I called a couple buddies of mine and said, ‘Hey, meet me at the golf course. We’re gonna get drunk!
“So we went out there, we started drinking and just having a good time, so I pretty much got it out of my system that day.”
Asked how long it took him to decide he’d stay on as the Nationals bench coach:
“When I got back from golfing, I was pretty ripped. Mike called me, and to this day, I still don’t know what he told me. All I know, at the end of the call he said ‘Matt’s gonna call you.’ I heard that part.”
Now we need a Williams interview in which he says he asked Knorr to clean out his locker and look for a new job, except Knorr misheard him, kept showing up for work and Williams didn’t have the heart to follow through.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)