Apr 1, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
Nats bench coach Randy Knorr was on 106.7 The Fan in Washington this morning. They talked about how he missed out on the Nats’ managerial job and how he decided to stay on as a Nats coach even though he was stepped over.
Knorr’s answer about how he dealt with it all makes me really hope Knorr gets a job as someone’s manager, because he sounds like a fun guy. Here was his morning the day Williams was hired:
“So at about 11 o’clock or so, I got about five phone calls there, so I called a couple buddies of mine and said, ‘Hey, meet me at the golf course. We’re gonna get drunk!
“So we went out there, we started drinking and just having a good time, so I pretty much got it out of my system that day.”
Asked how long it took him to decide he’d stay on as the Nationals bench coach:
“When I got back from golfing, I was pretty ripped. Mike called me, and to this day, I still don’t know what he told me. All I know, at the end of the call he said ‘Matt’s gonna call you.’ I heard that part.”
Now we need a Williams interview in which he says he asked Knorr to clean out his locker and look for a new job, except Knorr misheard him, kept showing up for work and Williams didn’t have the heart to follow through.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 18
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 47
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 26
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 11
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 33
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)