Randy Knorr took not getting the Nationals manager job in stride

Apr 1, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT

Randy Knorr

Nats bench coach Randy Knorr was on 106.7 The Fan in Washington this morning. They talked about how he missed out on the Nats’ managerial job and how he decided to stay on as a Nats coach even though he was stepped over.

Knorr’s answer about how he dealt with it all makes me really hope Knorr gets a job as someone’s manager, because he sounds like a fun guy. Here was his morning the day Williams was hired:

“So at about 11 o’clock or so, I got about five phone calls there, so I called a couple buddies of mine and said, ‘Hey, meet me at the golf course. We’re gonna get drunk!

“So we went out there, we started drinking and just having a good time, so I pretty much got it out of my system that day.”

Asked how long it took him to decide he’d stay on as the Nationals bench coach:

“When I got back from golfing, I was pretty ripped. Mike called me, and to this day, I still don’t know what he told me. All I know, at the end of the call he said ‘Matt’s gonna call you.’ I heard that part.”

Now we need a Williams interview in which he says he asked Knorr to clean out his locker and look for a new job, except Knorr misheard him, kept showing up for work and Williams didn’t have the heart to follow through.

1. goskinsvt - Apr 1, 2014 at 11:34 AM

• js20011041 - Apr 1, 2014 at 11:56 AM

You could’ve put any Seinfeld reference there, applicable or not, and I was going to give you a thumbs up.

• seahawks19081 - Apr 1, 2014 at 6:34 PM

I know the thumbs down are going to fly but Seinfeld is the most overrated show of all time. Not funny at all.

• twinfan24 - Apr 1, 2014 at 8:37 PM

seahawks – just because it isn’t your thing doesn’t mean it isn’t funny to most people. I don’t put it on a pedestal like some, but there are a lot of very funny episodes/lines.

2. spudchukar - Apr 1, 2014 at 11:59 AM

I prefer the phrase, “When the going gets tough, the weird turn pro”. Hunter S. Thompson.

3. eshine76 - Apr 1, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Any news on what Matt Williams did with Knorr’s stapler?

4. natstowngreg - Apr 1, 2014 at 12:12 PM

“Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail.” Brilliant dissection of the cliquishness and herd mentality of political reporters. Great stuff.

I’m sure Adam Kilgore and the other Nats beat writers are working on that interview with Matt Williams, as we type.

5. apkyletexas - Apr 1, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Every time I see a story like this, I think it’s either a really funny story, or the dude is an out-of-control alcoholic and it’s really sad. There are way too many alcoholics and drug abusers in sports.

Life’s drunken moments don’t really need to be promoted or glorified in any way.

• mgemmanuel - Apr 1, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Every time I see a comment like this I can’t help but think you’re either incredibly up tight or just read too far into everything to every have a good time. People must adore you.

6. tbird05 - Apr 1, 2014 at 1:43 PM

All I can think about is the sign in my office that says “If you drink, don’t drive…don’t even putt.”

7. crabcakesfootball - Apr 1, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Nothing but Natitude

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3674)