Apr 1, 2014, 8:33 AM EDT
Here’s Dan Shaughnessy in the Boston Globe today, closing a column headlined “Red Sox were lacking championship intangibles”:
Those were the things they did not do on Monday. Luckily, the Red Sox do not play in a town that’s likely to overreact to a loss on Opening Day.
Wednesday night, however, just became a Must Win for the Olde Town Team.
The beginning of baseball season is awesome in every way except for the part in which people forget how the sport’s beauty lies in the fact that no one game is truly significant. As a result, people actually offer Serious Analysis of single games for a few days before hey remember that too.
This is why our game recap feature is decidedly not Serious. Games just happen. Apart from injuries, no one event in them should get anyone too concerned.
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 3
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 20
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 26
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 17
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 59
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 43
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)