Apr 1, 2014, 8:33 AM EDT
Here’s Dan Shaughnessy in the Boston Globe today, closing a column headlined “Red Sox were lacking championship intangibles”:
Those were the things they did not do on Monday. Luckily, the Red Sox do not play in a town that’s likely to overreact to a loss on Opening Day.
Wednesday night, however, just became a Must Win for the Olde Town Team.
The beginning of baseball season is awesome in every way except for the part in which people forget how the sport’s beauty lies in the fact that no one game is truly significant. As a result, people actually offer Serious Analysis of single games for a few days before hey remember that too.
This is why our game recap feature is decidedly not Serious. Games just happen. Apart from injuries, no one event in them should get anyone too concerned.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 8
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 15
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 65
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)