Apr 1, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
A day after the cheers and boos given to Ryan Braun and Barry Bonds made everyone think about the ethics of fandom, Andy Martino of the Daily News gives us a heads up about what went on in New York yesterday: the mayor was booed.
Which, sure, no worries at all. Every politician is going to get a lot of boos in that situation, especially one who hasn’t made a lot of folks happy, which from what I can tell, describes New York Mayor de Blasio. But as Martino points out, there was a slight wrinkle to this:
The problem this time? De Blasio was accompanied on the mound by six small children affected by the recent East Harlem explosion. Nice job, people, giving those kids a nice memory. Lovely.
I’m guessing that since it was Opening Day and people started drinking at, like, 8am, many didn’t realize who was out there with the mayor. But I’m guessing some did too and didn’t really care.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 12
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 97
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 64
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 31
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Royals’ bullpen blows no-hit bid in the eighth inning against the Tigers 7
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs 93
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)