Apr 1, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT
Rangers ace Yu Darvish was placed on the 15-day disabled list the night before the start of the regular season with discomfort in his neck. But it looks as though he’ll only miss one turn in the rotation.
According to Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas, Darvish threw an 89-pitch bullpen session on Tuesday evening at Globe Life Park and had no issues with his neck. “We did the assimilation of probably four innings of work, getting up and down,” pitching coach Mike Maddux told Durrett. “All pitches were good. He looked very good, feels healthy.”
The Rangers will wait to see how Darvish feels Wednesday before setting up a plan for his return. He is eligible to be activated on Saturday, and a Sunday or Monday debut in Boston is a possibility.
Darvish, 27, had a stellar 2.83 ERA and an MLB-best 277 strikeouts in 209 2/3 innings last season.
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 1
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 5
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 31
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 45
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)