Apr 1, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT
Rangers ace Yu Darvish was placed on the 15-day disabled list the night before the start of the regular season with discomfort in his neck. But it looks as though he’ll only miss one turn in the rotation.
According to Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas, Darvish threw an 89-pitch bullpen session on Tuesday evening at Globe Life Park and had no issues with his neck. “We did the assimilation of probably four innings of work, getting up and down,” pitching coach Mike Maddux told Durrett. “All pitches were good. He looked very good, feels healthy.”
The Rangers will wait to see how Darvish feels Wednesday before setting up a plan for his return. He is eligible to be activated on Saturday, and a Sunday or Monday debut in Boston is a possibility.
Darvish, 27, had a stellar 2.83 ERA and an MLB-best 277 strikeouts in 209 2/3 innings last season.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)