Astros’ farewell gifts to Derek Jeter: golf clubs, cowboy hat, and a pair of pinstriped boots

Apr 2, 2014, 8:21 PM EDT

Like Chipper Jones and Mariano Rivera before him, Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter is going to receive gifts at every road park he visits during his farewell season. First up is Houston:

Not a bad haul, though you would have to assume that a guy like Jeter already has a pretty nice set of custom golf clubs. And a massive closet full of all sorts of different shoes. And even a cowboy hat or two.

Here’s video of Wednesday night’s ceremony from CSN Houston:

1. johnnysoda - Apr 2, 2014 at 8:30 PM

I can’t be the only one who’s getting annoyed by all these farewell tours and gifts, am I?

• paperlions - Apr 2, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Nope, I think it is the minority that doesn’t think it is rather silly. It is like a public apology after a DUI, everyone does it, so there is no way to differentiate that which is sincere from that which is done out of a feeling of obligation. Seriously, why in the world would the Astros or Astros fans give a crap about Jeter’s last game there?

• historiophiliac - Apr 2, 2014 at 9:53 PM

It’s like the obligatory demand for an encore at the end of a concert.

• arizonagrit - Apr 2, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Why are you getting annoyed? By “all these” you mean a grand total of 3?

• nothanksimdriving123 - Apr 2, 2014 at 10:04 PM

I suppose the thought is nice, but millionaires giving expensive gifts to another millionaire, and presenting them in a public ceremony to which middle-class people must pay $30-$300 to attend seems a little weird to me.
      I have a suggestion to other clubs that might lift the tenor and make these more meaningful: Announce that all the players on your team chipped in and bought a decrepit few acres in, shall we say, a working class part of town, then put in a few dozen hours clearing it and turning it into a safe place for kids to play baseball, free gear included, and name it Jeter Field. Perhaps a decent chap like Jeter would prefer to have 15-20 Jeter Fields dotting our nation than a bunch of stuff he could buy without denting his budget.

• jdillydawg - Apr 3, 2014 at 1:30 AM

That would be awesome. Best idea I’ve heard in a while.

2. lazlosother - Apr 2, 2014 at 8:36 PM

I’m a Yanks fan, and this stuff is really starting to bother me. Play ball. All this “farewell” crap detracts. MLB marketers are clueless.

3. glennsyank13 - Apr 2, 2014 at 8:37 PM

What the h is the point of these gifts?

4. rbj1 - Apr 2, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Did Derek return the favor with a gift basket?

• cmtill14 - Apr 2, 2014 at 10:12 PM

That’s after the game/tomorrow.

5. jcmeyer10 - Apr 2, 2014 at 8:49 PM

I didn’t mind Mo’s because he did a farewell tour of his own, visiting those behind the scenes who make it all happen.

This is too much.

• Caught Looking - Apr 2, 2014 at 10:42 PM

And the Astros were the last stop for Mo and the first for Jeter

6. serbingood - Apr 2, 2014 at 9:08 PM

I wonder if it’s too late to get the rights to the “Derek Jeter Farewell Tour 2014″ T-Shirt concession? There could be some serious $$ in that.

7. sfm073 - Apr 2, 2014 at 9:10 PM

This really is silly. The guy has made hundreds of millions of dollars, he doesn’t need gifts like this.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 2, 2014 at 9:12 PM

“When someone hands me a flier it’s like they are saying ‘Here. You throw this away.'”

-Mitch Hedberg

I have a feeling that’s how most of these gift ceremonies are received.

• strictlythedanks - Apr 2, 2014 at 9:15 PM

classis mitch

• chinahand11 - Apr 2, 2014 at 9:45 PM

I heard some of those gifts go to auctions to raise money for poor people. Just saying. Sounds like a good idea. When I did my farewell tour of the last hospital I worked in, they just gave me the finger behind my back. I stole some band aids though. JK.

• uwsptke - Apr 2, 2014 at 10:56 PM

I once saw a wino who was eating grapes. I was like, “Dude… You have to WAIT.”

• historiophiliac - Apr 2, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Them that’s got shall have/Them that’s not shall lose…God bless the child that’s got his own

• renaado - Apr 2, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Wow… I finally have my statement of the day! Thanks.

• historiophiliac - Apr 2, 2014 at 11:33 PM

You can thank Billie Holiday for that one.

• renaado - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:12 AM

Thank you too Ms. Billie Holliday. :-)

8. tfbuckfutter - Apr 2, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Here homeless shelter…I have a hat and some boots for you to give out.

9. strictlythedanks - Apr 2, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Did they include derek’s favorite pinstriped tampons?

10. moogro - Apr 2, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Me thinks they gildeth the lily.

11. renaado - Apr 2, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Why!? They should have all wore his number 2 jersey during that game! Not these gifts he can even buy with his eyes closed.

• chinahand11 - Apr 2, 2014 at 9:46 PM

That sounds like a good idea, certainly it would be an honor.

12. disgracedfury - Apr 2, 2014 at 10:58 PM

As a Yankees fan I didn’t mind the Mo one but Jeter never said he was doing a fairwell tour and Mo talked to the behind the scenes people.Jeter was a popular guy but he isn’t as sincere as Mo.

13. sfm073 - Apr 2, 2014 at 11:21 PM

The splintered bar chair the twins game Mo was a gift worth giving. This just seemed forced.

14. drewzducks - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Personally, I thought the 0-2 start was a nice touch.

15. 1harrypairatesties - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:28 AM

Yeah like he wants that crap. Cowboy boots & cowboy hat in NYC? Are you kidding me?

16. sabertone22 - Apr 3, 2014 at 5:35 AM

How do they know the boots will fit? Handmade custom boots are expensive!

17. bleedgreen - Apr 3, 2014 at 8:14 AM

Whats with the autoplaying video?

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3287)