David Ortiz denies that his “selfie” with President Barack Obama was a promotional stunt

Apr 2, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT

Ortiz Obama

Samsung took credit for arranging the picture that Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz posed for Tuesday at the White House with President Barack Obama, stating that it “was an honor to help him capture such an incredible and genuine moment of joy and excitement.”

But Ortiz is now denying that Samsung had anything to do with it — other than providing him the phone on which he captured and tweeted the now-famous photograph.

“It was right at the moment when I gave him the jersey and he asked to take a picture now or whatever, so I said, ‘€˜Oh, wait a minute, let’€™s see if I can get away with one.'” Ortiz told WEEI.com on Wednesday. “It wasn’€™t promotional or anything like that. Who knows you’€™re going to be able to take a picture with the President, a selfie? How many people can guarantee that? It’€™s something you don’€™t even have to talk about. … €œI signed a deal with Samsung a couple of months ago and they supply me with phones and all that stuff. The photo with the President was once in a lifetime moment. How did I know he would let me take a picture with him.”

So it’s more like Samsung tried to slip in and grab some brand attention after a cool, genuine moment.

1. garypagetwo - Apr 2, 2014 at 6:26 PM

thumbs up if you hate obama thumbs down if you hate obama

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 2, 2014 at 6:34 PM

What do we click if we hate you?

• jimeejohnson - Apr 2, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Right wing bass turds for 2 cents.

• tony34343434 - Apr 2, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Papi should have given the Pres some of those PED”S he takes. It has helped Papi and the Sox!!

• Professor Fate - Apr 2, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Considering that Obama has continued, and in some cases expanded, many policies enacted under Bush I must assume you hate Obama because you hated Bush. Right? And if you liked Bush, yet hate Obama, then the only conclusion I can draw is that, based on your half-illiterate writing, you don’t like people who can actually speak in coherent sentences. In any event I’d vote a thumbs-up-your-ass, but there’s probably not enough room, what with your fat head already there and all.

• 18thstreet - Apr 2, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Wrong room.

• detectivejimmymcnulty - Apr 2, 2014 at 9:08 PM

This is exactly what’s wrong with politics. The left leaning and right leaning TV news, or propaganda, has absolutely brainwashed people. If a Democrat has a good idea all the Republicans will say it’s horrible because, well, a Democrat came up with the idea and vise versa. Then the news channels spin it however they want. Honestly, I think that’s how both parties want it because then there’s no one in the middle to speak out about how damn stupid both parties are most of the time. When people lean hard left or hard right, we all lose.

• historiophiliac - Apr 2, 2014 at 10:03 PM

I know you’re not suggesting the Democrats lean hard left.

• mmeyer3387 - Apr 2, 2014 at 10:55 PM

Even through I have a degree in political science and I enjoy studying it’s trends, Nonetheless,I don’t want it in baseball. Furthermore, we don’t need politics in our favorite sports. It shouldn’t matter who is a Republican, Democrat, conservative or socialist. I’m sick of the criticisms about PED’s and who or who did not use them. It’s gotten so bad that Sports writers afraid to vote on certain players for the hall of fame because they think a player may have used them. Yet, they can’t prove it. Lets just enjoy the great sport of baseball.

• largebill - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Why does it have to be about hate? I didn’t vote for him, but I don’t “hate” Obama. I think he was a poor choice for a high level executive position having no experience running anything. I think his positions on most issues are wrong. We should be able to oppose someone’s positions or prefer they not be the office holder without it being about hating them as an individual.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 3, 2014 at 1:02 PM

What Bill said! Please know your post is easily the best post I have seen on this very site.
        I mean…ever. Good work Large Bill.

2. chris3141084 - Apr 2, 2014 at 6:31 PM

I question who is telling the truth here.

• j0esixpack - Apr 9, 2014 at 11:37 PM

He takes a selfie with the Prez

The company he has an endorsement deal with realizes it was THEIR phone that Ortiz used

The company that likely paid Ortiz a good chunk of change to be seen with their phone decides to use the opportunity for branding purposes – giving themselves some ROI for what they paid Ortiz

The rest of the world then freaks out for some reason

I don’t see what the big deal is

3. tfbuckfutter - Apr 2, 2014 at 6:36 PM

I’m not inclined to believe David here.

While getting the picture wasn’t a given if you don’t have Obama’s support, I’m sure a rep could easily tell Ortiz “Hey, suggest a selfie with the president”.

Because obviously Ortiz is going to be the most likely to get the most attention because he’s the highest profile player on the team.

4. serbingood - Apr 2, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Another ‘genius’ Samsung marketing ploy. I guess they are finished with copying Apple and have gotten into the Selfie game. Their marketing department must all have PhDs.

At least the Prez and Ortiz look happy. Next time, how about removing the shades? Show a little respect for POTUS.

5. Caught Looking - Apr 2, 2014 at 6:48 PM

“I did not have promotional relations with that telephone.”

6. barrywhererufrom - Apr 2, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Two putz’ s. Big Papi with his denial of roid use..and the other guy took no accountability for anything and blamed someone else for the problems of our nation after his second term started. Media darlings who are never called out on their lie(s) They deserve each other..

• jimeejohnson - Apr 2, 2014 at 7:47 PM

You deserve to be a right wing bass turd.

• Professor Fate - Apr 2, 2014 at 8:54 PM

More delusional ramblings from the birther crowd. Somehow I find it a bit difficult to find fault with placing the blame on the previous administration that spent eight long years doing everything in its power to put the country in a bad financial position. Mainly because, you know, that’s exactly what they did. Along with allowing the worst foreign terrorist attack on U.S. soil in its history, failing for years to catch the known perpetrator, starting two wars (one based on yet another manipulation of intelligence data), allowing an entire city to drown, pissing away a federal budget surplus while refusing to include ongoing wars of choice in their own budgets, etc.

Nothing quite like listening to rabid partisans defending Bush policies that caused the mess by basing their argument on the fact that since Obama hasn’t already cleaned up the cesspool it must somehow be his fault, and in no way any fault of a Senate that opposes anything he tries to accomplish. GM has recovered (enough to prove they can’t keep from shooting themselves in the foot repeatedly), the housing market has recovered, the stock market is at an all-time high, the defense department is finally being put on a long-overdue diet, and it turns out that giving working Americans healthcare they can actually afford hasn’t caused the end of civilization as we know it.

I’m no fan of Democrats, but the only strategies Republicans seem able to come up with lately is to run on a platform of “government is incompetent and evil” and then getting elected and proving it. You know why Democrats have a “D” next to their names? Because that’s usually the grade they earn in office. Know why Republicans have an “R” next to theirs? Because that’s the sound a pirate makes when he steals your stuff and runs you through with his sword.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 3, 2014 at 1:05 PM

“I’m no fan of Democrats.”

Hahahaha! Just one question…
        Have you ever NOT voted for one?

7. kraa0901 - Apr 2, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Taking a pic with Obama cannot be considered a promotional tool….he’s a tool….but not a promotional one.

8. fearthehoody - Apr 2, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Surrrre! Just like he couldn’t tell he was taking roids.

• 18thstreet - Apr 2, 2014 at 8:54 PM

I’m watching the Sox-Orioles game right now. Nelson Cruz has homered, just as he did in the opener. The Orioles’ fans don’t seem to mind.

In other news, David Ortiz, as we all know, is the only person ever to be accused of taking steroids.

9. taftfan88 - Apr 2, 2014 at 7:20 PM

I hope Obama’s strikeouts don’t rub off on Ortiz.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 2, 2014 at 7:47 PM

I bet you like thinking about dudes rubbing off on other dudes*

*I know it’s a homophobic slam, but I’m also pretty sure that will really really bother him.

• taftfan88 - Apr 2, 2014 at 7:50 PM

You took a harmless joke and went off the deep end. Congrats.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 2, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Bet you like thinking about deep ends*

*Again, see previous notation

• Professor Fate - Apr 2, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Your joke isn’t “harmless,” taftfan. Your joke plays on the assumption that the president can get whatever he wants despite having to deal with a Republican Senate. A Senate that hates Obama so much it is willing to abandon its own legislation when Obama agrees with any of it. There are a lot of things Obama hasn’t been able to accomplish (some of it I’m glad he couldn’t get through), but while he’s been in the batter’s box you and folks like you conveniently forget that on most every pitch the catcher is reaching up and holding onto his bat.

• taftfan88 - Apr 2, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Professor Fate, the Democrats control the Senate, not the Republicans. And I am not assuming he can get whatever he wants.

tfbuckfutter, I left my knee-jerk perverted jokes back in middle school.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 2, 2014 at 9:35 PM

I bet you like thinking about pervertedly jerking middle schoolers.

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 3, 2014 at 9:46 AM

You’re way out of line on this and really everything else below. Get a grip.

10. connormyboy - Apr 2, 2014 at 7:29 PM

What ever you say David.

11. Kevin Gillman - Apr 2, 2014 at 7:36 PM

What’s funny is Saturday Night Live had a sketch about President Obama and his selfies this past Saturday night, and now we have “Selfie-Gate”

• historiophiliac - Apr 2, 2014 at 10:05 PM

If they had kissed like the SNL skit, the internet would’ve exploded.

• Kevin Gillman - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:30 AM

And Papi would have denied they kissed…LOL

12. Professor Fate - Apr 2, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Why does anyone care if it was? Well, except those with that white-hot hate for everything Obama. Ortiz officially has the mark of Satan upon him now that he has dared associate with a dope-smoking Marxist Kenyan bent on destroying this country. Isn’t going to the White House after you’ve won a sports title a promotional stunt?

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 3, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Please…tell us again how you are “no fan of Democrats.” Lol!
      Liar, liar, pants on fire.

I ask again…
      Have you ever NOT voted for one?

13. hockeyflow33 - Apr 2, 2014 at 11:28 PM

I don’t understand why it’s a big deal even if it was sponsored. Every single aspect of every game is overflowing with sponsorships. Whether it’s the strike zone graphic, 7th inning giveaway, twitter contest, etc,

• Kevin Gillman - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:31 AM

I wouldn’t have cared if it was, until Ortiz denied it. I mean if it was just a promotion, why say anything?

14. slaugin - Apr 3, 2014 at 1:19 AM

Because it was really a stunt. He signed on with samsung months ago and part of the agreement was to take pictures as he normally would and post them on Social Media.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3371)