Apr 2, 2014, 10:37 PM EDT
Emilio Bonifacio is enjoying his return to the National League with the Cubs; he delivered his second straight four-hit game Wednesday against the Pirates, making him just the fifth player in 100 years to have two in a team’s first two games.
The last four to do it:
Ira Flagstead – 1926 Red Sox (went 8-for-11 against the Yankees)
Showboat Fisher – 1930 Cardinals (8-for-10 against the Cubs)
Wade Boggs – 1994 Yankees (8-for-10 against Rangers)
Dante Bichette – 1998 Rockies (8-for-10 against Diamondbacks)
Less spectacular than Bonifacio’s hitting has been his baserunning. He was picked off first base for the second time in two games Wednesday. He would have been picked off twice on Monday, but first baseman Travis Ishikawa dropped the throw the first time.
Bonifacio was picked up by the Cubs after being designated for assignment by the Royals on Feb. 1 and going unclaimed on waivers. The Royals had previously signed him to a one-year, $3.5 million contract, so they’re paying him $583,333 this year (one-sixth of the original amount), and the Cubs are paying him $2.5 million, with the possibility of $425,000 in bonuses. He’s being used as a utilityman by the Cubs, having started in center field and at second base the first two games.
Update: Bonifacio picked up a fifth hit in the 15th, making him the first player in at least 100 years to start off with nine hits in a team’s first two games.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Who really owns a home run ball? 58
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)