Mark Teixeira says his wrist will “never be the same”

Apr 2, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT

Mark Teixeira Getty Getty Images

Expectations continue to be adjusted downward for Mark Teixeira. From the Daily News, who has Tex’s comments about his wrist following last night’s game in Houston”

“It’s never going to be normal. (There will be) a new normal and hopefully it will get stronger,” said Teixeira, who went 2-for-3 with an RBI single to shallow left field in the eighth inning. “We’ll see what that new normal is. Is it hitting the ball in the second row instead of the fifth? Hopefully that’s what it is.”

For what it’s worth, Teixeira went 2 for 3 with an RBI last night so it’s not like he can’t swing the bat. The question is whether he can do so with any power and whether the wrist will hold up under regular play.

1. number42is1 - Apr 2, 2014 at 10:41 AM

“wrist will “never be the same””

I’ll take what 14 yr old boys say for $1000 Alex

2. jbriggs81 - Apr 2, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Tex beat the shift last night by going the other way! I don’t know if that is something he has worked on, but its something that he should continue trying to do, especially with a significant wrist injury.

• gatorprof - Apr 2, 2014 at 1:00 PM

+1 Maybe he will FINALLY try to be a hitter instead of a masher.

3. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 2, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Perhaps this will mean that he no longer tries to yank everything to RF anymore. If so, it will be addition by subtraction. If he could hit to the left side just 10-15% of the time teams would soften the shift that has killed his avg and obp over the last few years.

4. spudchukar - Apr 2, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Actually the fly-out to right in his first AB, should give the Yankee faithful some hope. It was short of the track, but was a pretty good swing. The two base-hits, not as much. If the Yankees are going to be reduced to opposite field grounders, and bloopers, from Tex and McCann, it is going to be a long and offensively inept season.

As to the 2 hits proving Texeira can still hit? Wow, that is a lot to draw out of less than overwhelming contact. His Spring Training slugging percentage was .114. Texeria without pop is worthless. Hopefully he learns to adjust to the wrist injury, to date, the verdict isn’t good.

5. thetoolsofignorance - Apr 2, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Wrist injuries seem to linger. I broke mine 2 years ago in a motorbike accident involving a parked motorist throwing her door open as I was tooling along. The door clipped me and i dumped the bike. I fractured my right wrist and tore up a lot of ligaments. I needed surgery and its never been the same. This is not to say I can’t use it. I can but its really altered my tennis game. I can’t hit a forehand slice or smash anymore. Even heavy top spin is hard to do. My overhead smash now usually involves a weak hop, a loud grunt and and hitting the ball smartly 6′ past the baseline. Before I injured my wrist, I was able to get a more downward trajectory on the ball with wrist angle since jumping isn’t my thing (Old White Men Can’t Jump – film at 11).

I bet Texiera can’t smash or slice anymore either (does he even play tennis?). For him to hit he’s got to try for solid contact and look for him to hit the other way, too. I think pulling the ball and rolling his wrists over it is going to be painful. If he hits them into the seats he’ll need lots of backspin to do it.

6. genericcommenter - Apr 2, 2014 at 10:58 AM

That would be fine if he could play middle infield.

7. flickflint - Apr 2, 2014 at 11:07 AM

@thetoolsofignorance nobody cares about your wrist

• 18thstreet - Apr 2, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Actually, I disagree. We hear about these miscellaneous injuries all the time, and I (for one) have no idea how impactful they are. Coco Crisp was pretty much wrecked for a while because of a finger injury, sustained sliding into a base. I couldn’t understand why it was a big deal (just a finger!) until it was explained that he couldn’t grip the bat the same way.

Most fans, I think, are unsympathetic to how hard it is to play hurt. So I think Tools did a nice job explaning how a wrist injury would impact Tex.

• thetoolsofignorance - Apr 2, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Do you know I hadn’t even looked to see how Tex had hit before I wrote all that*? Nevertheless I seem to have correctly predicted Tex’s hitting in a game I hadn’t watched. No one is more shocked about that than me

*I know, the little homily at the front of it all smacks of the ramblings of an old man given to garrulousness, but sometimes cliches are true. I’m was kind of embarrassed I wrote all of that until your comment. Thank you

8. Earnest Christian - Apr 2, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Reblogged this on Earnest Christian presents The OpinioNation | Sports and Pop Culture.

• sophiethegreatdane - Apr 2, 2014 at 2:22 PM

No one is impressed with your cutting-n-pasting ability.

9. apkyletexas - Apr 2, 2014 at 11:19 AM

I’m betting that he decides to give half that money back to the Yanks, since they aren’t ever going to get what they paid for.

Or, maybe not.

• 18thstreet - Apr 2, 2014 at 11:57 AM

The Yankees signed the contract. If they didn’t want to pay him for declining performance based on injuries, they should have signed a different contract. No one put a gun to the Steinbrenner family’s head.

• apkyletexas - Apr 2, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Agreed. What did they ever really gain themselves for all those massive free agent contracts? One more World Series title in 2009 – and even that one was still basically Jeter-Pettite-Rivera-Posada rising up one more time, with a sprinkling of help from A-Rod and CC.

You could almost argue – almost – that without overpaying for every free agent from 1999-2009, the Yanks still would have developed enough talent in the minors to win a 5th title with that core group. Just without wasting all the money and without permanently demolishing the free agent salary structure for every mid-market team in the country.

• 18thstreet - Apr 2, 2014 at 12:08 PM

In an alternative version of history, the Yankees pass on Tex and keep the draft pick that would become … wait for it … Mike Trout.

• apkyletexas - Apr 2, 2014 at 12:59 PM

…and with Trout as a centerpiece they might be building toward 3 or 4 more World Series runs in the next decade, instead of trying to figure out how to get out from under all these bloated contracts for non-contributors…

• 18thstreet - Apr 2, 2014 at 1:21 PM

It presumes that the Yankees would have taken him, though. I mean, Strasburg was considered the no-brainer No. 1 pick in that draft, and I think the Nationals don’t regret that pick. But Trout was taken 25th. There were a lot of teams picking between Strasburg and Trout (including the Nationals, who took Storen 10th).

10. miguelcairo - Apr 2, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Tex is still a solid player who’ll play an exceptional defensive first base. He may not hit .300/35/110 like in the good olde days, but he’s a definitely a step above the average AL first baseman.

• spudchukar - Apr 2, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Me too. As a descriptive analysis it was meaningful and helpful. That still doesn’t excuse playing tennis.

• spudchukar - Apr 2, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Oops wrong spot.

• thetoolsofignorance - Apr 2, 2014 at 1:36 PM

I am a skinny old man because I play tennis, young fella. I got a forehand that would break your jaw (and your jaw would break all the bones in my arm). No osteoporosis, some muscle tone and the admiration of people ten years younger than me who are shaped like beach balls. I like tennis. Besides there are some hot women who play tennis at my club. I like looking at them serve

• spudchukar - Apr 2, 2014 at 1:41 PM

I like tennis. And I am 63, but thanks for recognizing how young that is. I’d join you for a game, but then all those hot women wouldn’t be lookin’ your way.

• thetoolsofignorance - Apr 2, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Ha. Trust me. They don’t look now.

• spudchukar - Apr 2, 2014 at 1:05 PM

1) Davis, no chance.
      2) Cabrera, even less chance.
      3) Hosmer, nope.
      4) Pujols, nah.
      5) Mauer, not close.
      6) Fielder, no way.
      7) Encarnacion, uh, uh.
      8) Loney, closer, but no.
      9) Abeau, most likely not.
      10) Napoli, closer.
      11) Swisher, very close.
      12) Smoak, a wash.
      13) and 14) Guzman and Barton, OK correct there.

11. aceshigh11 - Apr 2, 2014 at 11:23 AM

He’s a Strikeout Wizard
    There has got to be a twist.
    That Strikeout Wizard’s got such a supple wrist

“How do you think he misses?”
    “I don’t know!”

What makes him whiff so bad?

12. shelbysensation - Apr 2, 2014 at 11:36 AM

If thetoolsofignorance can’t hit a forehand slice anymore the Yankees are in trouble.

• thetoolsofignorance - Apr 2, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Interesting. Do you know what a “Strawman Argument” is? Look that up and get back to us all

13. favrewillplay4ever - Apr 2, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Perhaps Arod can donate Teix his wrist to come back into the good graces of Yankee fans everywhere?

That is about the only part of Arod’s body that’s held up to this date.

14. cackalackyank - Apr 2, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Sounds like good news for a team that doesn’t have a backup 1B waiting nearby.

15. drewzducks - Apr 2, 2014 at 2:18 PM

The new normal? Only in Tex’s world is 33 the new 43.

16. serbingood - Apr 2, 2014 at 2:31 PM

I think Tex should seriously consider hitting only right handed this year. His left wrist is fine and that is the one that carries the bat through the swing. Use batting practice to work on the right wrist. Game time calls for right handed hitting only for the time being.

17. zdravit - Apr 2, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Have some dignity and retire if that’s the case.

Three legends off to Cooperstown