Apr 2, 2014, 9:37 AM EDT
Fox’s Ken Rosenthal reports that the Rays have agreed to six-year contract with pitcher Chris Archer “in the range of” $25 million. The deal begins this season and goes through 2019, with club options for 2020 and 2021. Marc Topkin reports that the specific amount is $25.5 million. Jeff Passan reports that the two club options total around $20M. Thus, if both options are exercised, the total deal will be for eight years and about $45M.
Archer, 25, is entering his third big league season and his second full one. He’s 10-10 with a 3.47 ERA with 137 strikeouts and 51 walks in 158 innings. Of his 29 career games, 27 have come as a starter.
Assuming Archer even comes close to his potential and stays reasonably healthy this will be a bargain for the Rays.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 65
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)