Apr 2, 2014, 12:11 AM EDT
MLB chose not to institute a replay system whose sole goal was getting calls right, instead opting for a system that involved managerial challenges and strategy, at least until the seventh inning of games. In Tuesday’s Giants-Diamondbacks game, won by Arizona 5-4, we saw exactly what’s going to come of such a system.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy chose to challenge this call in the fourth inning. A.J. Pollock appeared to be picked off first base, but he was called safe on the slide.
The replay was deemed inconclusive, so the umpires will get to add this one to the “we were right all along” tally. Bochy lost his right to challenge, which proved big when, just a couple of pitches afterwards, Pollock scored from third on a passed ball. Cain appeared to get the tag on him on the play at the plate (sorry, no video for that one yet), but the Giants couldn’t challenge and the umpires have no ability to go to the replay themselves until the seventh.
Best to remember things like this when the inevitable stats about how often the umpires were correct on replay challenges come out. In truth, they were probably 0-for-2 here, but it will go into the books as a 1-for-1.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 48
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 48
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 62
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 20
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)