Apr 2, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
UPDATE, 6:20 p.m. ET: Ortiz says it wasn’t a stunt.
Ortiz, who took the presidential photo with his Samsung smartphone, had signed a promotional deal with the mobile-device manufacturer on Monday.
“We have a relationship with David and the Red Sox. We partner with people who have like-minded values and fit with who we are as a brand,” a Samsung spokesman told ABCNews.com in a statement.
Shortly after Ortiz tweeted his photo with Obama, which he took while the 2013 World Series champion Red Sox were being feted at the White House, Samsung told the Boston Globe that it “was an honor to help him capture such an incredible and genuine moment of joy and excitement.”
I don’t guess the concept of selfies are so dignified that they can actually be sullied by commercialism. But it was a lot more fun to think of this as a spontaneous thing as opposed to a marketing effort.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 19
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 25
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 136
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)