The David Ortiz-Obama selfie was a promotional stunt

Apr 2, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

Ortiz Obama

UPDATE, 6:20 p.m. ET: Ortiz says it wasn’t a stunt.

**************

The selfie of David Ortiz and Obama yesterday was pretty cool. Now it feels somewhat less cool:

Ortiz, who took the presidential photo with his Samsung smartphone, had signed a promotional deal with the mobile-device manufacturer on Monday.

“We have a relationship with David and the Red Sox. We partner with people who have like-minded values and fit with who we are as a brand,” a Samsung spokesman told ABCNews.com in a statement.

Shortly after Ortiz tweeted his photo with Obama, which he took while the 2013 World Series champion Red Sox were being feted at the White House, Samsung told the Boston Globe that it “was an honor to help him capture such an incredible and genuine moment of joy and excitement.”

I don’t guess the concept of selfies are so dignified that they can actually be sullied by commercialism. But it was a lot more fun to think of this as a spontaneous thing as opposed to a marketing effort.

1. @thekid9ball - Apr 2, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Reblogged this on The Fantasy Forensic and commented:
    Yea, Its the wrong color “Sox” for that big of smile from the Prez.

2. Jack Marshall - Apr 2, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Plus turning the President of the United States into a Samsung shill without his permission. I hate this crap—hated it with Ellen, Hate it with Papi. Everything is a billboard. David doesn’t need the money that much; he got his extension. Yechhh.

3. drewsylvania - Apr 2, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Duh. Everything a president does is calculated.

• alexo0 - Apr 2, 2014 at 4:41 PM

I would kind of hope so.

• asimonetti88 - Apr 2, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Next: Everyone has to buy Samsung smartphones or face a tax… er… penalty. Cell phone usage is a basic human right.

• historiophiliac - Apr 2, 2014 at 9:26 PM

I don’t want to freak you out or anything, but the government does underwrite phones for poor people so they can have access to emergency assistance. Have a nice day.

• pastabelly - Apr 3, 2014 at 1:45 PM

It’s on my to do list (and it will never make it to the done list)

4. disgracedfury - Apr 2, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Ortiz should get all his other PED users in the photo and than he will be cool.

5. slaugin - Apr 2, 2014 at 4:11 PM

To be fair, it wasn’t specifically for this event. He has a contract with Samsung and they ask him to post pictures and what not from his phone to social media.

6. mybrunoblog - Apr 2, 2014 at 4:14 PM

This has gotten too much attention already. Next story please……

7. baberuthslegs - Apr 2, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Wow, I thought that picture was so good. Heartwarming even.
    When am I going to learn?

• historiophiliac - Apr 2, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Of all the things going on in the world today, was this really the thing that jaded you?

8. blabidibla - Apr 2, 2014 at 4:39 PM

All selfies are promotional stunts.

9. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 2, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Flash mobs, selfies, girl power…everything is a commercial now.

10. tfbuckfutter - Apr 2, 2014 at 4:43 PM

“We have a relationship with David and the Red Sox. We partner with people who have like-minded values and fit with who we are as a brand,” a Samsung spokesman told ABCNews.com in a statement.

YOU MAKE ELECTRONICS! PEOPLE BUY YOUR PRODUCTS IF THEY LIKE THE PRODUCTS YOU MAKE! DAVID ORTIZ DOES NOT SHARE THE SAME VALUES AS YOUR COMPANY BECAUSE YOUR COMPANY DOESN’T HAVE ANY VALUES BEYOND PROVIDING A HOPEFULLY QUALITY PRODUCT TO A HOPEFULLY INCREASING CUSTOMER BASE!

STOP TALKING ABOUT YOUR STUPID COMPANY LIKE IT IS A PERSON HAVING PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP WITH THE PEOPLE YOU ARE PAYING TO PROMOTE YOUR PRODUCT AND INCREASE YOUR CUSTOMER BASE!

• chill1184 - Apr 2, 2014 at 5:00 PM

You seriously need to calm the F down

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 2, 2014 at 5:18 PM

You seriously need to figure out how to identify mock rage used to make a point in a humorous way.

• paperlions - Apr 2, 2014 at 5:30 PM

As soon as governments stop passing laws that give corporations the rights of individuals, then I will agree with you.

• dcarroll73 - Apr 2, 2014 at 10:04 PM

paper, in the case of the US, it is not even a matter of our elected government passing laws giving corporations status as a person. It is the Supreme Court (I’m sure with assistance from a lot of clever corporate lawyers) which came up with this evil fiction. OK these corps are legally “persons”. How about imposing the corporate death penalty when outfits like Bank of America are found to have committed criminal fraud, forgery, perjury, and grand theft on a scale in the billions of dollars? Until that happens, I don’t want to hear this “legal person” garbage.

• happytwinsfan - Apr 2, 2014 at 5:26 PM

the idea of making people more likely to buy your electronic product because they associate it with a baseball player they like, makes as much sense as rooting for a particular baseball team because they play half their games in a stadium near where you live, while the players themselves come from all over the world and mostly live somewhere far away during the off season.

i personally prefer to purchase from manufacturers who partner with cartoon characters who have like minded values and fit with who they are as a brand.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 2, 2014 at 5:29 PM

I’m not buying a new cell phone until I see which company partners with Jerry Sandusky.

Because that guy shares my values and I want a cell phone that is made by a company that also shares my values.

• happytwinsfan - Apr 2, 2014 at 5:41 PM

a fan of happy valley are you?

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 2, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Oops. That was a typo. I meant Gerry Sandusky. The play-by-play radio guy for the Baltimore Ravens.

That guy totally shares my values.

I don’t know who Jerry is.

• happytwinsfan - Apr 2, 2014 at 5:53 PM

i thought that was a little bold, even for you.

• dcarroll73 - Apr 2, 2014 at 10:06 PM

I am Daffy Duck, and I approved this message.

11. 18thstreet - Apr 2, 2014 at 4:45 PM

I don’t get Samsung here. Almost every phone can take a selfie.

I’m an old fart. I don’t understand any marketing anywhere about anything.

• happytwinsfan - Apr 2, 2014 at 5:28 PM

and that is why you are an undesirable demographic my friend.

12. thomas844 - Apr 2, 2014 at 4:47 PM

I always thought the Bernie Lean was pretty funny until Oakland fans and players seemed to claim it as their own invention and do it all the time.

13. motobus - Apr 2, 2014 at 4:55 PM

How was it ever exciting to begin with?

• thomas844 - Apr 2, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Yeah, I mean it was pretty funny and amusing to see but I wouldn’t exactly call it “exciting”

14. JuniorGriffey'sRecliner - Apr 2, 2014 at 5:22 PM

FFS how on Earth is this a promotional stunt? The picture was tweeted by MLB with no reference to Samsung whatsoever.

I had no idea Samsung had anything to do with this, and I would imagine most others who saw the picture didn’t either, until I read this post.

HBT is being way more of a Samsung shill than Ortiz at the moment…

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 2, 2014 at 6:33 PM

It was mentioned elsewhere that Samsung did the same thing with Ellen at the Oscars, which actually became a pretty big deal.

So I’m sure that’s what they were going for. To make a mark. Which kind of worked.

• pastabelly - Apr 3, 2014 at 1:48 PM

It would have made many on this thread happier if he used his 5S.

15. fearthehoody - Apr 2, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Big Papi = Cheater

• dcarroll73 - Apr 2, 2014 at 10:09 PM

PEDObsessedPosters = Boring

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3020)