Apr 2, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
The Marlins had over 35,000 people in their ballpark on Opening Day. And some of those 35,000 apparently faced traffic issues getting to the park and long lines at concession stands and poor service. As this has turned into talk radio fodder in Miami, Marlins president David Samson has decided that the best response to all of this is defensiveness.
He disputes the wait times people claim to have faced at concessions. He criticizes the routes they took to get to the stadium. He equates long lines at the ballpark with long lines at Disney World and tells fans, well, that’s what you signed up for. He then plugs MLB’s At Bat app and tells people to download it and order food with it. He also notes that even though he has amazing parking and amazing seats and Miami Heat games that he has to get to the arena early because of crowds, so Marlins fans should too.
I am 100% certain, given how people love to complain, that the worst horror stories about what happened at the ballpark called in to talk radio the other day were extreme examples and/or embellished to maximize suffering. People are just jerks like that. At the same time, I am pretty certain that a business owner who does not at least pretend to acknowledge that there were some problems and pretend to have some empathy for the customers is kind of a jerk.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)