Armando Galarraga to pitch in Taiwan with an awesomely-named team

Apr 3, 2014, 12:32 PM EDT

Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish reports that Armando Galarraga has offer to pitch in the Taiwanese pro league. The best part is the team name: the Brother Elephants. Some context on that name from HBT’s D.J. Short and Drew Silva:

Sorta feel like I need the cap. If anyone has an in on a fitted on, I take a 7 3/4.

1. grumpyoleman - Apr 3, 2014 at 1:09 PM

If we had replay challenges back then this wouldn’t even be a blip on the radar today. Most people wouldn’t even know who he was even if he had pitched a perfect game.

2. stlouis1baseball - Apr 3, 2014 at 1:24 PM

I am with CC on this. That is an awesomely named team.
    And I too will take a hat. 7 7/8 please.

• jwbiii - Apr 3, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Here ya go

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 3, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Outstanding jwbiii! I dig the one with “Brother Elephants” across the front but could do without the white portion along the sides (and even the bill for that matter). Yeah…I am anal like that. But (overall) I do like them. Thanks for the link Man!

3. jwbiii - Apr 3, 2014 at 1:24 PM

But is it a better name than the Lamigo Monkeys (Manny Ramirez played for them last season)?

4. Wish - Apr 3, 2014 at 2:05 PM

my uncle played for that team. they are the Tokyo Giants of Taiwan.

5. JuniorGriffey'sRecliner - Apr 3, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Geez, what a noggin. I wear a 7 5/8 and I thought MY head was big…

6. mikhelb - Apr 3, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Galarraga also has contracts to play in México, he auditioned for various teams (Monclova, Monterrey, Yucatán) but his lack of velocity and lack of movement and “bite” in his offspeed pitches was what prevented him being signed. There are more offers from other smaller leagues but it was commented that he either would pitch in Asia or in México; my bet is México since the salary is quite good compared to Taiwán and the US minor leagues (4-6 times what a regular non-high-round draftee makes).

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto