Apr 3, 2014, 3:49 PM EST
The official word from the Rockies last night was that Carlos Gonzalez exited as a precaution due to dizziness. However, MLB.com’s Thomas Harding revealed today the contributing factor to the reported dizziness and dehydration: Gonzalez swallowed a big wad of dip.
“I talked to him last night after the game and he assured me he was fine and was going to be all right, so it’s a nice name to write in a lineup,” manager Walt Weiss said prior to Thursday’s game. “He might’ve swallowed some dip or something. He landed hard, knocked the wind out of himself, swallowed some dip, dehydration, all those things were factors.”
Fortunately, the Rockies held on to beat the Marlins 6-5 last night. If they had lost after one of their two best players left for such a silly reason, Gonzalez might have taken some heat.
The left fielder was back in Thursday’s lineup.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)