Apr 3, 2014, 3:49 PM EST
The official word from the Rockies last night was that Carlos Gonzalez exited as a precaution due to dizziness. However, MLB.com’s Thomas Harding revealed today the contributing factor to the reported dizziness and dehydration: Gonzalez swallowed a big wad of dip.
“I talked to him last night after the game and he assured me he was fine and was going to be all right, so it’s a nice name to write in a lineup,” manager Walt Weiss said prior to Thursday’s game. “He might’ve swallowed some dip or something. He landed hard, knocked the wind out of himself, swallowed some dip, dehydration, all those things were factors.”
Fortunately, the Rockies held on to beat the Marlins 6-5 last night. If they had lost after one of their two best players left for such a silly reason, Gonzalez might have taken some heat.
The left fielder was back in Thursday’s lineup.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 3
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 27
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40