Apr 3, 2014, 3:49 PM EDT
The official word from the Rockies last night was that Carlos Gonzalez exited as a precaution due to dizziness. However, MLB.com’s Thomas Harding revealed today the contributing factor to the reported dizziness and dehydration: Gonzalez swallowed a big wad of dip.
“I talked to him last night after the game and he assured me he was fine and was going to be all right, so it’s a nice name to write in a lineup,” manager Walt Weiss said prior to Thursday’s game. “He might’ve swallowed some dip or something. He landed hard, knocked the wind out of himself, swallowed some dip, dehydration, all those things were factors.”
Fortunately, the Rockies held on to beat the Marlins 6-5 last night. If they had lost after one of their two best players left for such a silly reason, Gonzalez might have taken some heat.
The left fielder was back in Thursday’s lineup.
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 7
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 16
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)