Apr 3, 2014, 3:49 PM EDT
The official word from the Rockies last night was that Carlos Gonzalez exited as a precaution due to dizziness. However, MLB.com’s Thomas Harding revealed today the contributing factor to the reported dizziness and dehydration: Gonzalez swallowed a big wad of dip.
“I talked to him last night after the game and he assured me he was fine and was going to be all right, so it’s a nice name to write in a lineup,” manager Walt Weiss said prior to Thursday’s game. “He might’ve swallowed some dip or something. He landed hard, knocked the wind out of himself, swallowed some dip, dehydration, all those things were factors.”
Fortunately, the Rockies held on to beat the Marlins 6-5 last night. If they had lost after one of their two best players left for such a silly reason, Gonzalez might have taken some heat.
The left fielder was back in Thursday’s lineup.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 52
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11