Apr 3, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that free agent right-hander Freddy Garcia has received multiple minor league offers, including one from the Rangers. However, he continues to work out in Miami, Florida in hopes of finding a major league contract.
With the injury-riddled Braves’ staff, most assumed that Garcia would leave spring training with a rotation spot, but he was surprisingly cut loose in late March. The club quickly moved on and gave a major league deal to Aaron Harang, who allowed two hits over 6 2/3 scoreless innings Wednesday in his season debut against the Brewers.
Garcia, 37, had a 4.37 ERA and 46/17 K/BB ratio in 80 1/3 innings over 13 starts and four relief appearances between the Braves and Orioles last season. He finished strong with Atlanta and even made a start during the NLDS against the Dodgers.
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 7
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 128
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (129)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)