Apr 3, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that free agent right-hander Freddy Garcia has received multiple minor league offers, including one from the Rangers. However, he continues to work out in Miami, Florida in hopes of finding a major league contract.
With the injury-riddled Braves’ staff, most assumed that Garcia would leave spring training with a rotation spot, but he was surprisingly cut loose in late March. The club quickly moved on and gave a major league deal to Aaron Harang, who allowed two hits over 6 2/3 scoreless innings Wednesday in his season debut against the Brewers.
Garcia, 37, had a 4.37 ERA and 46/17 K/BB ratio in 80 1/3 innings over 13 starts and four relief appearances between the Braves and Orioles last season. He finished strong with Atlanta and even made a start during the NLDS against the Dodgers.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (84)