Apr 3, 2014, 10:30 PM EST
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that free agent right-hander Freddy Garcia has received multiple minor league offers, including one from the Rangers. However, he continues to work out in Miami, Florida in hopes of finding a major league contract.
With the injury-riddled Braves’ staff, most assumed that Garcia would leave spring training with a rotation spot, but he was surprisingly cut loose in late March. The club quickly moved on and gave a major league deal to Aaron Harang, who allowed two hits over 6 2/3 scoreless innings Wednesday in his season debut against the Brewers.
Garcia, 37, had a 4.37 ERA and 46/17 K/BB ratio in 80 1/3 innings over 13 starts and four relief appearances between the Braves and Orioles last season. He finished strong with Atlanta and even made a start during the NLDS against the Dodgers.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (270)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)