Apr 3, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
The kicker: he did so in 1968, and his takes on what Peanuts had to say about America are … rather unhinged. And totally square. And it’s gotta be the most bizarre thing any Major League Baseball owner has ever done.
Jeb Lund examines this book over at Deadspin today and it must be read to be believed. Both Lund’s review, and Loria’s book, actually. Here’s what he says about how the Peanuts gang celebrates holidays:
A milk chocolate bunny is certainly better than surviving on pot, LSD, and banana peels under palm trees to the tune of “Mellow Yellow.” The little folks will gladly hunt for Easter Eggs. Easter wasn’t meant to be a ten-day excursion into the psychedelic. It seems that some easter “trip-takers” need marijuana and sugar cubes to loosen them up for a little fun or to activate their imaginations. Not the hearty Peanuts crew.
He’s like Joe Friday on the late-60s version of “Dragnet.” I keep waiting for BlueBoy to appear.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 0
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 54
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)