Apr 3, 2014, 3:12 PM EST
The kicker: he did so in 1968, and his takes on what Peanuts had to say about America are … rather unhinged. And totally square. And it’s gotta be the most bizarre thing any Major League Baseball owner has ever done.
Jeb Lund examines this book over at Deadspin today and it must be read to be believed. Both Lund’s review, and Loria’s book, actually. Here’s what he says about how the Peanuts gang celebrates holidays:
A milk chocolate bunny is certainly better than surviving on pot, LSD, and banana peels under palm trees to the tune of “Mellow Yellow.” The little folks will gladly hunt for Easter Eggs. Easter wasn’t meant to be a ten-day excursion into the psychedelic. It seems that some easter “trip-takers” need marijuana and sugar cubes to loosen them up for a little fun or to activate their imaginations. Not the hearty Peanuts crew.
He’s like Joe Friday on the late-60s version of “Dragnet.” I keep waiting for BlueBoy to appear.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 19
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)