Apr 3, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
The kicker: he did so in 1968, and his takes on what Peanuts had to say about America are … rather unhinged. And totally square. And it’s gotta be the most bizarre thing any Major League Baseball owner has ever done.
Jeb Lund examines this book over at Deadspin today and it must be read to be believed. Both Lund’s review, and Loria’s book, actually. Here’s what he says about how the Peanuts gang celebrates holidays:
A milk chocolate bunny is certainly better than surviving on pot, LSD, and banana peels under palm trees to the tune of “Mellow Yellow.” The little folks will gladly hunt for Easter Eggs. Easter wasn’t meant to be a ten-day excursion into the psychedelic. It seems that some easter “trip-takers” need marijuana and sugar cubes to loosen them up for a little fun or to activate their imaginations. Not the hearty Peanuts crew.
He’s like Joe Friday on the late-60s version of “Dragnet.” I keep waiting for BlueBoy to appear.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)