Matt Adams shoves fan with glove after missing foul ball

Apr 3, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT

Matt Adams AP AP

There was an interesting moment in the bottom of the third inning at Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati this afternoon, as Cardinals first baseman Matt Adams attempted to catch a foul ball off the bat of Reds outfielder Chris Heisey. He dove into the stands along the first-base line to catch it, but came up empty-handed. Adams decided to tap the fan who caught the ball with his glove, which ended up looking a lot like a shove. The fan quickly responded by flipping the bird to Adams. Fun stuff.

Check out the exchange in this Vine, courtesy of user Chris Looy.

C. Trent Rosecrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer caught up with the fan in question, Chris Smith, after the incident:

“He gave me a shove and I fell back,” Smith said. “I’m pretty sensitive about my knee right now. I’m fresh out of surgery, it’s nothing to joke around about.”

Leaning over the tarp, Adams was in position to catch the ball, but Smith had his glove above Adams’ glove and made the catch. A fan has the right to catch a ball if he doesn’t go into the field of play, and replays showed Smith didn’t.

“I didn’t reach over, I stayed where I was, I couldn’t reach out if I tried, because I can’t hit my knee on anything,” Smith said, pointing to the cup holder in front of him right at knee-level.

Smith and friend Kristen Kidd, who was sitting next to him, said there were no words exchanged between the two. Just the shove — and the gesture that was caught live on TV.

“I wouldn’t be mad if he wasn’t hurt,” Kidd said.

There is, of course, no way Adams could know Smith was hurt, but it was still her first reaction to look out for her friend.

“He didn’t say anything,” Smith said. “He just looked at me right in the face and walked away.”

This isn’t the end of the world, but you have to wonder how this incident would be covered if say, someone like Yasiel Puig was the one who did it. Anyway, the fan was well within his rights to catch the ball and hopefully Adams will think twice next time about touching a fan unprovoked. Fortunately, this didn’t escalate into a bigger confrontation.

1. skerney - Apr 4, 2014 at 12:13 AM

Way to work Puig’s name into a post that had absolutely nothing to do with him.

2. rebloggedonlol - Apr 4, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Seen the video, much to do about nothing here.
    I’d be the first to trash Adams for pushing a fan, but come on

3. miguelcairo - Apr 4, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Why bring up Yasiel Puig in this post? He has nothing to do with it.

• danrizzle - Apr 4, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Is this something you really can’t figure out and need an explanation for?

4. yaryers - Apr 4, 2014 at 1:12 AM

If this was the NBA, he’d be suspended.

5. syphermce - Apr 4, 2014 at 3:27 AM

I don’t see anything wrong here. He barely touched him and the fan I think was just startled by it and “jumps” back which just makes it look worse then it actually was.

6. ontherocks1964 - Apr 4, 2014 at 7:02 AM

Nothing to see here. Move along.

7. koufaxmitzvah - Apr 4, 2014 at 8:04 AM

The greatest fans in baseball say….Slow down and give our guy some space.

But come playoff time, we don’t want no unAmerican Mickey Mouse hand clapping!

8. lewsiv - Apr 4, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Shoving fans…It’s the Cardinal way!

Seriously though, any aggressive altercation (even small ones like this) should be dealt with harshly. It’s never okay for a player to provoke anything with fans (and vice versa). Unless you are Kurt Bevacqua and someone throws a beer at you. Then all bets are off.

9. bengalsucker - Apr 4, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Funny how the Cards fans come to defend. While I think Adams didn’t do it to try to hurt the guy, you better believe had the fan done this to Adams, he would have been ejected, banned from GABP and had charges filed on him. Lets switch roles and see how that plays out. I believe it was more than a “good catch” tap. Adams needs to watch it. I’d say he should get a call by the MLB about it for sure.

• pastabelly - Apr 4, 2014 at 8:42 AM

He didn’t try and hurt the guy, but that wasn’t a “way to go, nice grab” tap either. It was an “F U Ahole, thanks for nothing” small push. I’m sure someone in St Louis management will say a couple of words to Adams. It wasn’t the worst thing in the world, but it’s borderline jackass.

10. deadeyedesign23 - Apr 4, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Dude I’m a Cub fan and that is so weak. It really seems to em like a “ya got me” kind of thing. The worst case is that he gave him a soft tap in anger…knee or no knee hes being really mellow dramatic.

11. stlouis1baseball - Apr 4, 2014 at 9:29 AM

This is a travesty. An outcry. A threat to humanity. Matt Adams needs to be taken out behind the bullpen and put down like a lame horse for what he did. Speaking of which…Pat Neshek also needs to be taken out behind the bullpen and put down for not giving Billy Hamilton anything to hit.
    But back to Matt Adams assaulting this fan…
    It was such a big deal Homer Brennamen and the Cowgirl made ZERO references to it during the radio broadcast. Bud…you have no choice but to ban Matt Adams for life. Off with his head!

12. samlecure - Apr 4, 2014 at 9:41 AM

When is it ok for a player to make any type of intentional contact with a fan?

Never.

OT: I didn’t know Samwell Tarly of the NightsWatch was a Reds fan.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 4, 2014 at 9:43 AM

So you didn’t watch it either huh? How about the article? Didn’t read it either huh?
      Educate yourself on the subject.

• samlecure - Apr 4, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Nice try. You sound defensive and never answered the question.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 4, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Sam: He shouldn’t have made contact with him…under any circumstances.
      For what it’s worth…I love your game dude. I have been raving on it to my Redlegs loving buddies for a few years now. Solid middle relief. Solid.

13. jimmyt - Apr 4, 2014 at 9:49 AM

The only real question is “Who will the Cardinals be playing in the World Series?”.

14. truegrit54 - Apr 4, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Wow! So how did Adams miss out on the usual flaming journalism and the full blown attack normally associated with the media for something like this? Seems awfully poo-poo-ed to me. Obviously the fan considered it to be more than a “glove tap”. Why is this writer trying to make it sound like it was a good job tap or something like that?

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3117)