Matt Adams shoves fan with glove after missing foul ball

Apr 3, 2014, 7:25 PM EST

Matt Adams AP AP

There was an interesting moment in the bottom of the third inning at Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati this afternoon, as Cardinals first baseman Matt Adams attempted to catch a foul ball off the bat of Reds outfielder Chris Heisey. He dove into the stands along the first-base line to catch it, but came up empty-handed. Adams decided to tap the fan who caught the ball with his glove, which ended up looking a lot like a shove. The fan quickly responded by flipping the bird to Adams. Fun stuff.

Check out the exchange in this Vine, courtesy of user Chris Looy.

C. Trent Rosecrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer caught up with the fan in question, Chris Smith, after the incident:

“He gave me a shove and I fell back,” Smith said. “I’m pretty sensitive about my knee right now. I’m fresh out of surgery, it’s nothing to joke around about.”

Leaning over the tarp, Adams was in position to catch the ball, but Smith had his glove above Adams’ glove and made the catch. A fan has the right to catch a ball if he doesn’t go into the field of play, and replays showed Smith didn’t.

“I didn’t reach over, I stayed where I was, I couldn’t reach out if I tried, because I can’t hit my knee on anything,” Smith said, pointing to the cup holder in front of him right at knee-level.

Smith and friend Kristen Kidd, who was sitting next to him, said there were no words exchanged between the two. Just the shove — and the gesture that was caught live on TV.

“I wouldn’t be mad if he wasn’t hurt,” Kidd said.

There is, of course, no way Adams could know Smith was hurt, but it was still her first reaction to look out for her friend.

“He didn’t say anything,” Smith said. “He just looked at me right in the face and walked away.”

This isn’t the end of the world, but you have to wonder how this incident would be covered if say, someone like Yasiel Puig was the one who did it. Anyway, the fan was well within his rights to catch the ball and hopefully Adams will think twice next time about touching a fan unprovoked. Fortunately, this didn’t escalate into a bigger confrontation.

Latest Posts
  1. Blue Jays sign Johan Santana

Feb 26, 2015, 6:06 PM EST

Johan Santana Getty Getty Images

Santana hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2012 due to injury.

2. Barry Zito on his one-year retirement: “You want to be back in that game so bad”

Feb 26, 2015, 5:17 PM EST

Barry Zito Getty Images

“I think hanging it up is going to be harder for guys than they realize, after being out of it for a year.”

3. What’s driving the A-Rod media circus? The media, of course.

Feb 26, 2015, 2:06 PM EST

Alex Rodriguez AP AP

Shame on A-Rod for making the reporters obsess about him.

4. Ike Davis is still mad at the Mets for saying that he partied too hard

Feb 26, 2015, 12:30 PM EST

ike davis getty Getty Images

It’s been two and a half years, but it still leaves a “dirty taste” in his mouth.

5. Wily Mo Pena is staying in Japan

Feb 26, 2015, 11:47 AM EST

wily mo pena headshot ap AP

Pena once looked like a potential star for the Reds and Red Sox, but then washed out by age 26.

6. Max Scherzer has added a cutter to his arsenal

Feb 26, 2015, 11:32 AM EST

Max Scherzer AP

He also (a) wants to emulate Greg Maddux; and (b) asked Sandy Koufax about his curveball.

7. The Phillies slowly enter the era of analytics

Feb 26, 2015, 11:00 AM EST

phillies logo

Welcome to 2002, Ruben Amaro!

8. Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers

Feb 26, 2015, 10:23 AM EST

Francisco Rodriguez AP

Two weeks ago Francisco Rodriguez was said to be holding out for a two-year contract.

9. For the 100th time, the Yankees are not for sale

Feb 26, 2015, 9:37 AM EST

Yankees logo

Even if Mike Lupica thinks they will be soon.

10. If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended

Feb 26, 2015, 8:29 AM EST

josh hamilton getty Getty Images

I am confident that Major League Baseball will help Josh Hamilton find the help he needs. I do hope, however, that whatever else they do to him does not contribute to the tendency to treat addicts as miscreants.

11. Mark Ellis retires from baseball at age 37

Feb 25, 2015, 11:05 PM EST

mark ellis getty Getty Images

Mark Ellis told Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle late Wednesday evening that he is retiring from baseball after 12 major league seasons.

12. Bryce Harper: “Where’s my ring?”

Feb 25, 2015, 10:34 PM EST

bryce harper getty Getty Images

Most people are high on the Nationals this season, but outfielder Bryce Harper might be the highest of all. Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com spoke with Harper on Wednesday …

1. J. Hamilton (4469)