Apr 3, 2014, 9:39 PM EDT
Matt Kemp is eligible to come off the disabled list as soon as tomorrow and Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports that all signs point to him being activated and in the lineup for the Dodgers’ home opener against the Giants.
Kemp had bone spurs and a loose body removed from his left ankle last October as well as a microfracture procedure of the talus bone. The Dodgers brought him along slowly this spring, though he was able to get into some minor league games toward the end of camp. The 29-year-old doesn’t think he needs an official minor league rehab assignment and Dodgers manager Don Mattingly says they’ll take him at his word:
“Physically, in his mind, Matt feels he’s ready,” Mattingly said. “He’s said he’s not afraid to do all the things he has to do. In a sense, we can only trust him. He’s been honest with us. He doesn’t want to get embarrassed. He wants to do well.”
Once Kemp is activated, the Dodgers will have four outfielders for three spots with Yasiel Puig, Carl Crawford, and Andre Ethier also in-house. While it could be a challenge for Mattingly to juggle the egos involved, the situation will allow Kemp to be eased back into things in the early going.
Kemp, who also had a cleanup procedure on his left shoulder in October, was limited to just 73 games last season.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)