Apr 3, 2014, 9:39 PM EDT
Matt Kemp is eligible to come off the disabled list as soon as tomorrow and Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports that all signs point to him being activated and in the lineup for the Dodgers’ home opener against the Giants.
Kemp had bone spurs and a loose body removed from his left ankle last October as well as a microfracture procedure of the talus bone. The Dodgers brought him along slowly this spring, though he was able to get into some minor league games toward the end of camp. The 29-year-old doesn’t think he needs an official minor league rehab assignment and Dodgers manager Don Mattingly says they’ll take him at his word:
“Physically, in his mind, Matt feels he’s ready,” Mattingly said. “He’s said he’s not afraid to do all the things he has to do. In a sense, we can only trust him. He’s been honest with us. He doesn’t want to get embarrassed. He wants to do well.”
Once Kemp is activated, the Dodgers will have four outfielders for three spots with Yasiel Puig, Carl Crawford, and Andre Ethier also in-house. While it could be a challenge for Mattingly to juggle the egos involved, the situation will allow Kemp to be eased back into things in the early going.
Kemp, who also had a cleanup procedure on his left shoulder in October, was limited to just 73 games last season.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 1
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 3
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 51
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 30
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (265)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)