Apr 3, 2014, 9:39 PM EST
Matt Kemp is eligible to come off the disabled list as soon as tomorrow and Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports that all signs point to him being activated and in the lineup for the Dodgers’ home opener against the Giants.
Kemp had bone spurs and a loose body removed from his left ankle last October as well as a microfracture procedure of the talus bone. The Dodgers brought him along slowly this spring, though he was able to get into some minor league games toward the end of camp. The 29-year-old doesn’t think he needs an official minor league rehab assignment and Dodgers manager Don Mattingly says they’ll take him at his word:
“Physically, in his mind, Matt feels he’s ready,” Mattingly said. “He’s said he’s not afraid to do all the things he has to do. In a sense, we can only trust him. He’s been honest with us. He doesn’t want to get embarrassed. He wants to do well.”
Once Kemp is activated, the Dodgers will have four outfielders for three spots with Yasiel Puig, Carl Crawford, and Andre Ethier also in-house. While it could be a challenge for Mattingly to juggle the egos involved, the situation will allow Kemp to be eased back into things in the early going.
Kemp, who also had a cleanup procedure on his left shoulder in October, was limited to just 73 games last season.
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 69
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 47
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 8
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)