Apr 3, 2014, 9:39 PM EDT
Matt Kemp is eligible to come off the disabled list as soon as tomorrow and Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports that all signs point to him being activated and in the lineup for the Dodgers’ home opener against the Giants.
Kemp had bone spurs and a loose body removed from his left ankle last October as well as a microfracture procedure of the talus bone. The Dodgers brought him along slowly this spring, though he was able to get into some minor league games toward the end of camp. The 29-year-old doesn’t think he needs an official minor league rehab assignment and Dodgers manager Don Mattingly says they’ll take him at his word:
“Physically, in his mind, Matt feels he’s ready,” Mattingly said. “He’s said he’s not afraid to do all the things he has to do. In a sense, we can only trust him. He’s been honest with us. He doesn’t want to get embarrassed. He wants to do well.”
Once Kemp is activated, the Dodgers will have four outfielders for three spots with Yasiel Puig, Carl Crawford, and Andre Ethier also in-house. While it could be a challenge for Mattingly to juggle the egos involved, the situation will allow Kemp to be eased back into things in the early going.
Kemp, who also had a cleanup procedure on his left shoulder in October, was limited to just 73 games last season.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)