Apr 3, 2014, 9:39 PM EDT
Matt Kemp is eligible to come off the disabled list as soon as tomorrow and Ken Gurnick of MLB.com reports that all signs point to him being activated and in the lineup for the Dodgers’ home opener against the Giants.
Kemp had bone spurs and a loose body removed from his left ankle last October as well as a microfracture procedure of the talus bone. The Dodgers brought him along slowly this spring, though he was able to get into some minor league games toward the end of camp. The 29-year-old doesn’t think he needs an official minor league rehab assignment and Dodgers manager Don Mattingly says they’ll take him at his word:
“Physically, in his mind, Matt feels he’s ready,” Mattingly said. “He’s said he’s not afraid to do all the things he has to do. In a sense, we can only trust him. He’s been honest with us. He doesn’t want to get embarrassed. He wants to do well.”
Once Kemp is activated, the Dodgers will have four outfielders for three spots with Yasiel Puig, Carl Crawford, and Andre Ethier also in-house. While it could be a challenge for Mattingly to juggle the egos involved, the situation will allow Kemp to be eased back into things in the early going.
Kemp, who also had a cleanup procedure on his left shoulder in October, was limited to just 73 games last season.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)