Must-Click Link: Chad Curtis is a deluded, dangerous monster

Apr 3, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT

Chad Curtis AP

Greg Hanlon has a story about former major leaguer Chad Curtis over at SportsOnEarth today, and it’s a must-read.

Curtis, who was convicted on six counts of sexual assault arising out of his inappropriate touching of teenage girls at a Michigan high school where he was a volunteer strength trainer, is serving 7-15 years in prison. Despite the fact his appeal is pending, he spoke to Hanlon on the record about his case and his accusers. And he sounds like an absolutely deluded monster:

Curtis tells me that the first accusation against him broke on his 3-year-old’s birthday. The second came on his 11-year-old’s. He was arrested on the day of his 19-year-old’s graduation.

“Now, is that coincidental? Or is that someone looking at your personal file and deciding to mess with you?” he says to me.

Looked at one way, it’s a laughably grandiose delusion of a man whose persecution complex is in proportion to his Jesus complex. But in person, in real time, Curtis is more compelling than he is after the fact. Like any charismatic person, he pulls you in and makes you want to go along with what he’s saying. He has the convincingness of someone who has thoroughly convinced himself of his own innocence.

He blames his victims and he believes that they will recant their stories one day. He even believes that one of them will write a book with him one day that, ultimately, will benefit people.¬†He’s that right, you see, and they’re all wrong and he has God on his side.

Based on Curtis’ sociopathy and sickness, 15 years doesn’t sound like nearly enough.

1. stex52 - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Thanks, Craig, I’ll skip it. It seems recently all we get in the news is sociopath’s chances to tell their own stories. I don’t think a single thing Chad has to say interests me. Just glad we don’t have to worry about him floating around society for a few years.

• rollinghighwayblues - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Amen. Reading what he has to say is opposite of “must-click”.

• youngwomanscreek - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Reading it is more about empathy with the victims and understanding how people can be so fooled by someone (youth esecially so).

• genericcommenter - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Know your enemies.

2. realgone2 - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:29 AM

It’ll be funny if they do recant their stories.

• vivabear - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:42 AM

I don’t see how it would be funny to anyone if that happened. And, I seriously doubt that’s at all a possibility.

3. hojo20 - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Is there videotape of the “touching”?

• vivabear - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:43 AM

You are a dumbass.

• aceshigh11 - Apr 3, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Why, you want to send it to MLB headquarters for instant replay analysis?

NOT. FUNNY.

4. Michael - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:32 AM

I hated Chad Curtis when he was a (IMO of course) homophobic, racist ballplayer, and it seems his issues run far deeper than that.

5. youngwomanscreek - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:41 AM

I hope his victims are able to move forward with their lives. They were all very strong in testifying in court. Not an easy thing for a teenager.

6. miguelcairo - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Proof that not all World Series winners are winners.

7. Liam - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:52 AM

While reading this, remember that Chad called Derek Jeter out for sex before marriage when they were Yankee teammates.

8. spudchukar - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Hanging Chad.

9. sandwiches4ever - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Now I feel sleazy for even having rooted for him in the 90s. I had heard about the charges, but reading that article made my skin crawl.

• ezthinking - Apr 3, 2014 at 2:08 PM

I liked the Curtis – ‘we’re not going to talk to you, Jim Gray, on the All-Century Pete Rose interview” in the 1999 WS after Curtis’ walk-off HR because – f-ck reporters and their self-righteous sense entitlement, the they have the mic and control the narrative, the slanted editing to make a good story, etc….

But, while everyone has done wrong, I hate Curtis to his very molecules.

I hope Curtis gets a taste a hell on Earth before he finds it below. F-ck that guy.

May God have mercy on my soul for hating a man as much as I hate this ‘being.’

• happytwinsfan - Apr 3, 2014 at 8:25 PM

is it totally out of line around here to say that even a predatory peophile may deserve understanding and mercy, like the rest of us?

yes, for hating him “to his very molecules”, for hoping that he will “taste a hell on earth before..” he is tortured for all of eternity by the mythological embodiment of evil, i sincerely hope that god does have mercy on your soul.

people do evil things, but there is no such thing as a evil human being.

10. baseballisboring - Apr 3, 2014 at 1:03 PM

These guys never get enough time. When you look at the names in the sex offender registry, I swear ALL of them have 3, 4, 5, 6 offenses. Some people are irredeemable. 15 years isn’t enough for me.

11. historiophiliac - Apr 3, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Those girls could’ve been one of my little cousins. It’s so disturbing. He’s disgusting…and deluded.

12. shanabartels - Apr 3, 2014 at 2:09 PM

My sympathy goes out to all of the girls Curtis violated. He’s a disgusting, self-righteous, delusional, vile sociopath for sure. I read the whole article and it was difficult to get through, but it’s important to recognize these warning signs if we want to be more proactive about preventing these same patterns of abuse from happening elsewhere. Generally, if an athletic coach insists on private sessions with a student in a locked room, that is a red flag, and it ought to be investigated much sooner — and if there really is just an innocuous therapeutic sports massage happening, it shouldn’t be a problem for a supervisor to check in and make sure it all looks kosher. I would guess that a lot of school districts have rules to that effect, but I wasn’t an athletic kid so I don’t know personally what the student/coach boundaries tend to be like.

I don’t understand how Curtis’s children can ostensibly stand by him after he molested their friends and babysitters. I know they probably feel obligated to show loyalty because he’s family, but a lot of people would draw the line far short of that. I don’t think I could remain on speaking terms with any family member who did something like that. In any case, his kids are put between a rock and a hard place, and I don’t envy that at all.

13. earpaniac - Apr 3, 2014 at 2:09 PM

That was…….disturbing. He has absolutely convinced himself he did nothing wrong. I hope he serves every day of that sentence, and then some.

14. musketmaniac - Apr 3, 2014 at 2:38 PM

guilty or innocent, 7 years for touching, that is five more years than the p.o.s. junior high football coach of mine who raped three boys over ten years. That’s a lot of time for touching, were there clothes on or off. wtf brutal.

15. djandujar - Apr 3, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Never trust a Jesus freak.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 3, 2014 at 4:16 PM

That’s the thing man….If I know you’re religious within 5 minutes of meeting you, there is a 95% chance that you either are over-compensating for improper actions, or you have very low intelligence and eduction and are just mimicking the behaviors you’re taught because you don’t know any better.

I am convinced that in many many cases people believe that because they are religious their actions can’t be wrong. They can’t be bad people because they spread their faith, so how can their actions be bad if they themselves are good? I have known so many people that wear their religion on their sleeve, yet are perving on the teenage girls in church, are screwing people over in their business, just so many different things that is specifically spelled out that they SHOULD NOT BE DOING, but they are the ones most aggressively proselytizing (this goes for church leaders as well).

• djandujar - Apr 3, 2014 at 6:21 PM

That and they think they know all the answers to life.
        They don’t. Nobody does. And if we did what would be the point of it?

16. musketmaniac - Apr 3, 2014 at 5:22 PM

the minute I see a cross or a religious trinkets to identify them as a believer, I lose almost all respect for that person. Ignorance is their faith.

17. zinger99 - Apr 3, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Fire,water,electricity,power tools and a sick imagination every day til his last breath would be satisfying. He’s the devil.

18. valhallaviking - Apr 3, 2014 at 7:37 PM

I too call myself a Christian, but my faith will not lead me down this path. I can understand how faith in your face can turn others off, but as a steward, my job is to spread the message. That being said, Curtis’s actions only reflect poorly upon no man of faith. While this coward did in fact use his faith as a cover, most of us seek to put these type of animals behind bars. Major leaguer? Ha touch my child and I will become “animalistc…demonic.”

• valhallaviking - Apr 3, 2014 at 7:41 PM

sorry, i mean his actions reflect poorly upon a man of faith

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 3, 2014 at 7:51 PM

So you wouldn’t turn the other cheek, as instructed?

• valhallaviking - Apr 3, 2014 at 7:57 PM

There is instruction for forgiveness as well as punishment.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 3, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Ah.

So you have, in fact, stoned your child to death as instructed when he’s been disrespectful?

• bigmeechy74 - Apr 5, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Keep your “job” to yourself. Why do you think you should tell other people how to live or what to believe? How arrogant are you? The whole thing is ridiculous. But if you think you should tell people what to believe, then I’m gonna tell you this: If it’s 2014 and you actually think that Adam and Eve and Noah’s ark are true stories, then you seriously need to re-evaluate your life.

• asimonetti88 - Jul 17, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Aren’t you telling him how to live and what to believe here?

19. valhallaviking - Apr 3, 2014 at 9:13 PM

The issue become application. I choose to apply the love of the father upon my son for disrespect and the wrath upon the child molesters. If you seek loop holes, may we both be judged by the father who is superior to me.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 3, 2014 at 9:42 PM

That’s cool.

I play fast and loose with rules too.

Especially when there are no actual consequences for my behavior.

20. mikhelb - Apr 3, 2014 at 9:45 PM

i don’t know what is it with journalists or reporters writing an article including their opinion and judgement of the case they’re communicating. Editorializing stories is plainly wrong as well as blaming people in articles, and not talking just about Chad Curtis and the girls he allegedly touched (touching/abusing somebody is a despicable action) but for the hundreds and thousands even who yearly are accused by the press just because they ‘own the truth’ (remember the case of the LaCrosse players accused by a girl who happened to have also accused others of her clients before the players and accused his boyfriend and i cant remember if she ended up killing him recently).

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:03 PM

The fact that you said “allegedly touched” (and then tried to cut that by pointing out that what he was CONVICTED for is despicable, after suggesting it MAY not have happened) makes you lose any and all credibility.

Yeah. The press is out to get a random mediocre baseball player. That makes way more sense then a guy with a Jesus complex molesting girls and then trying to make them feel responsibility for his actions.

You’re a douche.

• happytwinsfan - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:42 PM

i’m not thinking clearly enough to know if you’re right or wrong on this, because at this point in the 24 hour cycle i’m about 2/3 drunk (maybe 3/4s or 4/5s) and am at best hoping to remain conscious long enough to watch the remainder of the rebroadcast of this afternoon’s twins game, but i like seeing you take a stand.

• bigmeechy74 - Apr 5, 2014 at 10:52 AM

you are comparing young underage girls to that stripper? wtf

21. haaaaasoooooo - Apr 4, 2014 at 7:51 AM

I guess if we are stating biblical semantics, Chad should remember that it states that anyone who hurts children, should have a millstone hung around his neck and should be dropped to the bottom of the ocean. Of course, he never mentioned THAT to A-rod.

Three legends off to Cooperstown