Rays place Sean Rodriguez on paternity leave list

Apr 3, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT

Sean Rodriguez AP AP

The Rays announced this evening that infielder/outfielder Sean Rodriguez has been placed on the paternity leave list. No word on whether they asked the hosts from WFAN for permission before doing so.

According to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, Rodriguez and his wife are expecting the birth of their fourth child. He’s permitted to be away from the team for 24-72 hours.

The Rays have called up infielder Vince Belnome to take Rodriguez’s place on the active roster.

1. tfbuckfutter - Apr 3, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Mlbpa needs to start handing out condoms in July.

This is just getting out of hand.

• historiophiliac - Apr 3, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Well, if the ladies wouldn’t tease them with their pink jerseys…

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 3, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Is that the preferred nomenclature for it at this time?

I gotta say, as long as it fits well and is nicely tailored I can get behind it.

• geoknows - Apr 4, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Oops, sorry, I hit “report comment” instead of “reply” by mistake. I didn’t mean to report the comment.

Anyway, I was going to say…the guys appear to be having fun during the All Star Break in July. Murphy, Rollins, Rodriguez? None of them went to the game. They went on trips with their wives.

2. nymets4ever - Apr 3, 2014 at 8:36 PM

lol, Yankee fans.

3. twinfan24 - Apr 3, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Don’t tell Boomer!

4. renaado - Apr 3, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Ok…. From what I’ve counted this is the 3rd time someone was on a paternity leave. I don’t see anything wrong about it I just hope it doesn’t keep increasin afterwards cause I’m pretty sure some guys would make another big deal about this.

• jwbiii - Apr 3, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Carl Crawford, Brian Duensing, Daniel Murphy, Jimmy Rollins, now Sean Rodriguez. This didn’t become newsworthy until Mets fans and a New York radio station complained about Murphy.

The Rodriguezes

• renaado - Apr 3, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Wow, this is amazing! Thanks for putting this jwbiii.

• cktai - Apr 4, 2014 at 4:14 AM

Taking in account the US fertility rate, the number of players on active rosters, and the length of the MLB season, I would venture to guess that there about 30 to 40 players who will go on paternity leave each season. That would be an average of 5-7 per month.

• aresachaela - Apr 4, 2014 at 4:31 AM

So what you’re saying is this might happen when being applied mathematically? Please tell me it is.

• wonkypenguin - Apr 4, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Did you just sabermetric birth rate? I expect a full half hour report on the MLB Network with pundits arguing that “I was a ballplayer and a father and I don’t need math to tell me about it.”

In other questions, is sabermetric a verb? Can we make it one?

• cktai - Apr 4, 2014 at 11:22 AM

I think it’s sabremize or sabermatricate.

• cktai - Apr 4, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Hiring players who already have multiple children is the new market inefficiency.

5. chill1184 - Apr 3, 2014 at 8:59 PM

If the guy is making the money to support his kids, who the F cares how many he’s got. Last time I checked Kurt Warner has around 10 of them I believe. Its not like these guys are on welfare or anything like that.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:20 PM

I think that with many people, the crucial issue is less whether the family can support their children, however important that obviously is, but how many people our planet can handle, a question we might only learn the answer to by exceeding that limit and suffering the consequences.

6. shadowcell - Apr 3, 2014 at 9:00 PM

The All-Star Break last year was a busy one, I see.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Obviously it’s the home run derby.

7. renaado - Apr 3, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Yo 13arod, You need to calm down on writing your statements dude.

8. doctorofsmuganomics - Apr 3, 2014 at 9:23 PM

I don’t get what the big deal is over four kids. This ain’t china where there’s only one allowed.

9. jss1330 - Apr 3, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Here’s hoping for a healthy delivery for the mother and baby.

Ace-killer Giants do it again