The Derek Jeter farewell gifts start out with boots and a hat

Apr 3, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT

I feel like the Texas teams have it way easier than a lot of other teams when it comes to giving gifts to retiring legends. Texas’ history and culture just give it far more unique-to-Texas symbols amenable to gift-giving than, say, Cleveland has. Someone needs a gift? Ah, heck, just give ‘em boots and a hat:

Which has to sort of stink for the Rangers. The best idea was taken by the Astros.

I suppose a box of steaks will do. Assuming Kansas City doesn’t scoop them on that.

1. unclemosesgreen - Apr 3, 2014 at 8:57 AM

A box of steaks? Try a gift basket full…

2. pourman - Apr 3, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Not a fan of the Yankees or the state of Texas but those boots are pretty sweet.

3. rollinghighwayblues - Apr 3, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Never, never, never, set a cowboy hat down on its brim.

4. voteforno6 - Apr 3, 2014 at 9:17 AM

I wonder if the groupies have their own farewell ceremonies planned for him.

5. 18thstreet - Apr 3, 2014 at 9:25 AM

I’m probably just being a grouch, but the gift should be something unique to the team or the stadium. Something unique that you Jeter can’t buy somewhere. (I thought the painting the Red Sox gave Rivera was idiotic, but it was completely awesome that they gave him the No. 42 from the scoreboard, since no one will ever use it again.)

And, honestly, given that Derek Jeter doesn’t have any history with the Houston Astros, I’m not even sure why this happened at all.

6. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 3, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Am I just a party pooper for wondering why teams have to give Jeter something? Jeter makes more money this year than the whole Astros team, and I don’t think there is a single person alive who really thinks his play on the field will justify the salary.

I think a team can give him something if Jeter has some particular significance to their franchise, but why does every team have to come up with some token gift, even if it is devoid of meaning for either side?

7. nymets4ever - Apr 3, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Hideous boots. The uppers look like Yankee Stadium popcorn containers.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Thanks for your incredibly positive, thought provoking and most cheerful post Mets fan.
      We can alwasy count on you to bring the cheer!
      At parties…do you sit in the corner? Or do you stand on the table yelling and cursing at people?

• nymets4ever - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:07 AM

People are entitled to their opinions and those opinions will not always sound like something out of an episode of Barney & Friends. Get out of your St. Louis best-fans-in-the-world bubble for half a second and maybe you’ll understand.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:19 PM

I couldn’t agree more. People are entitled to their opinions. Yours is apparantly always negative.
        Oh…and Barney is gay. But that’s on him. He is his own dinosaur. Who am I to judge?

• rollinghighwayblues - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Probably something along the lines of this:

• asimonetti88 - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:27 AM

The boots are ugly. The hat is boss though.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 3, 2014 at 12:22 PM

The boots are ugly. But I have to be honest. I am biased as I think anything with a yankees logo is ugly.

8. ochospantalones - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Can we limit this retirement tour gift-giving thing to just division rivals? And maybe the Mets? Does this really need to happen 17 more times?

9. historiophiliac - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Jeter, please just make an announcement that you’re humbled by the honors but in lieu of you’d prefer a donation to a local charity in your honor or Jeter bobblehead night for the fans or something like that.

• 18thstreet - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:38 AM

It’s probably a little late for that. But I agree with the sentiment.

10. coryfor3 - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:42 AM

This is a ridiculous tradition that needs to go away. What is the standard for these farewell tours? Who qualifies for such treatment? And it actually says more about the retiring player. Jeter could have just retired after the season but why do that when you can announce before the season and knowingly set yourself up for all the attention and fawning and gifts and recognition? I have no idea why any team would bestow honors or gifts on another player. It just doesn’t make sense. What has Jeter done for the Astros? Increase revenues and their cut thereof? I suppose that would be it. The year long parade of ceremonies is just too much and Jeter knowingly set himself up to soak it all up. More than a bit self indulgent.

• coryfor3 - Apr 3, 2014 at 10:44 AM

P.S. – It is just bunch of resources wasted with useless gifts like pinstriped boots that will just sit around, be given away to someone else to sit around their house or be auctioned off one day. I can’t imagine most of these farewell gifts are ever actually used.

• 18thstreet - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:06 AM

I like that Jeter announced his impending retirement before the season. In my perfect world, the opposing fans would give him a rousing ovation at the start of each game and before what will probably be his last plate appearance at each ballpark. But that doesn’t mean there needs to be a ceremony.

One of my favorite memories as a fan was being at Fenway when Cal Ripken was closing in on Lou Gehrig’s record. He broke the record in September, and this game was in August. He hit a homerun, and we gave him a standing ovation as he rounded the bases. It was easy to be magnanimous — the homer cut the lead to 5-1, and the Sox were comfortably in first — but it was genuine.

11. rcali - Apr 3, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Triple AAA Astros 2-0. New York Yankees 0-2. I seen more life out of a rock then this Yankee team.

12. carpi2 - Apr 4, 2014 at 1:41 AM

A gift idea for the Cleveland Indians to give to Jeter; a stack of titty magazines and a bottle of vodka. Now, I will tune in to watch Jeter’s face, while receiving those gifts!

Three legends off to Cooperstown