Apr 4, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
For now Bobby Parnell is trying the rest-and-rehab route, but the Mets closer told Adam Rubin of ESPN New York that doctors have told him it’s “50-50″ that he’ll eventually require Tommy John surgery to repair a torn elbow ligament.
General manager Sandy Alderson indicated that Parnell would wait six weeks to make a decision regarding surgery, but the right-hander said he’d rather decide in two weeks because if he does need to go under the knife he’d like to do it early enough to potentially be available in early 2015.
Of course, Tommy John surgery typically carries a recovery timetable of at least 12 months, so it’s already late enough that Parnell would be no sure thing to be ready for Opening Day next season anyway.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)