Boomer Esiason apologizes for his comments about Daniel Murphy taking paternity leave

Apr 4, 2014, 9:12 AM EDT

Boomer and Carton

The other day, Boomer Esisason — co-host of the Boomer & Carton show on WFAN — took on the subject of Daniel Murphy taking paternity leave. His opinion: in Esiason’s words, Murphy should “get his ass back to work.” Boomer also said that Murphy’s wife should’ve had a C-section before the season started so Murphy didn’t miss any time.

This was insane, of course, and in the past 48 hours Esiason either reacquainted himself with sanity or had his wife smack him over the head, because today he apologized. And it was a very good, and heartfelt apology:

“I just want to say again on this radio show that in no way, shape or form was I advocating anything for anybody to do. I was not telling women what to do with their bodies. I would never do that. That’s their decision, that’s their life and they know their bodies better than I do. And the other thing, too, that I really felt bad about is that Daniel Murphy and Tori Murphy were dragged into a conversation, and their whole life was exposed. And it shouldn’t have been.

“And that is my fault. That is my fault for uttering the word ‘C-section’ on this radio station. And it all of a sudden put their lives under a spotlight, and for that I truly apologize. I tried to reach out to Daniel yesterday through intermediaries over there at the New York Mets, and to his credit, he answered all of his questions yesterday. I’m sorry that he had to go through that. No man should have to go through that. And certainly Daniel Murphy, who we both admire much as a baseball player as anybody else — and all I can say is that I truly, truly, feel terrible about what I put them through. So for that I certainly apologize.”

Esiason, from what can be told from his public record, is a dedicated father and husband who has gone above and beyond the call of duty both in taking care of his own son (who has special needs) and doing charitable work for others. So when I heard this the other day I was rather surprised. My guess: this is one of those situations where the talk radio medium took over the thinking parts of his brain. The lingua franca of that world is calling out athletes for being soft and playing up to the dude-bro listenership who like to hear that stuff, and it’s easy to auto-pilot in that mode if you let yourself.

Good for him for coming to his senses on this.

1. Francisco (FC) - Apr 4, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Thankfully the Philly media seems to have shrugged when Jimmy Rollins went on paternity leave. On the other hand I don’t listen to the sports radio talk shows so maybe some jackwagon said something and I missed it.

2. Kevin Gillman - Apr 4, 2014 at 1:36 PM

I am glad Boomer apologized, he knows that family comes before sports games. I am happy he did the right thing.

3. psly2124 - Apr 4, 2014 at 2:21 PM

The p.c. Police out in full force. Boomer said nothing wrong. Murphy has a job to do that he gets paid more then 99.9% of the country. If he wants to make minimum wage or flip burgers so be it. He can take a month off. If she’s going into a scheduled surgery, she should have scheduled it during the offseason. Now if the mets docked him three pay would they be right to do so.

• Indybear - Apr 4, 2014 at 2:26 PM

He apologized for bringing them into it and for uttering the “C” word on radio. Big deal. He should have apologized for thinking like a Neanderthal and putting entertainment above family. What a tool.

• Indybear - Apr 4, 2014 at 2:28 PM

And, no, they wouldn’t be right to dock him three days pay. You don’t know anything about CBA, do you?

• reason4thehope - Apr 4, 2014 at 4:12 PM

She wasn’t going in for scheduled surgery. She was having a baby, which happens on its own schedule unless you have a C-section. You don’t do that for convenience, you do that out of medical necessity, and there was none here, so she wasn’t having the operation. And under his contract and any reasonable moral standard, Murphy had every right to take time off for the natural birth of his son.

• qckappa - Apr 4, 2014 at 6:59 PM

You are an idiot just like Esiason!

4. rayswhitesuit - Apr 4, 2014 at 3:16 PM

If Dan Murphy had a job where he earned minimum wage, he couldn’t AFFORD to take any time off. And seriously, “baseball player” is so important a job that he shouldn’t dare miss a game or two? He makes a lot of money so his wife should just deal with it? What are people thinking?

5. President Charles Logan - Apr 4, 2014 at 6:36 PM

yawnnnnnnnnn

6. albanyjints - Apr 4, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Boomer’s irrelevant. Carton’s a wanna-be Howard Stern punk. Why are they on the air?

7. evanpenn - Apr 5, 2014 at 6:52 AM

Boomer made a mistake and he’s forgiven.
    As for Carton and Francesspool….F them.

8. jcday1126 - Apr 5, 2014 at 7:29 AM

No man should miss the birth of their child, so now we criticize him for doing so but we can let a baseball player take a day off for a hangnail ,get your priorities straight.

9. dirtydrew - Apr 5, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Idiot

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3675)