Apr 4, 2014, 4:02 PM EDT
Ian Desmond thought he had an inside-the-park homer as he raced around the bases in the fifth inning against the Braves on Friday. Justin Upton thought it was a double. After replay overturned the initial call, it was Upton who got his way.
Here’s the play:
Desmond’s grounder down the third base line and to the wall in left field stuck under the padding at Nationals Park, causing Upton to do the smart thing and throw up his hands for the double. The umpiring crew, though, never gave him the deadball sign, and third base ump Marvin Hudson showed no sign of coming out to get a better look at the ball. With no call forthcoming, Upton finally picked up the ball and threw it back to the infield, though at that point, it was too late to stop Desmond from making his way home.
The Braves challenged the call at that point, arguing that the ball was lodged under the padding in left. Whether that’s actually a reviewable call or not is unclear, but the umps did go approve the replay and then overturned their original call, putting Desmond back at second base.
The overturn certainly seemed like the right call. While the ball wasn’t truly “stuck,” as Upton showed by how easy he grabbed it, it was lodged in between the ground and the padding, which unfortunately comes to a stop about a ball’s width from the ground. Upton did the smart thing, at least until he went and eventually grabbed it and left no proof of the ball’s placement for Hudson to examine.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 1
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 19
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 11
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 36
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 42
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (186)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)