Apr 4, 2014, 4:02 PM EDT
Ian Desmond thought he had an inside-the-park homer as he raced around the bases in the fifth inning against the Braves on Friday. Justin Upton thought it was a double. After replay overturned the initial call, it was Upton who got his way.
Here’s the play:
Desmond’s grounder down the third base line and to the wall in left field stuck under the padding at Nationals Park, causing Upton to do the smart thing and throw up his hands for the double. The umpiring crew, though, never gave him the deadball sign, and third base ump Marvin Hudson showed no sign of coming out to get a better look at the ball. With no call forthcoming, Upton finally picked up the ball and threw it back to the infield, though at that point, it was too late to stop Desmond from making his way home.
The Braves challenged the call at that point, arguing that the ball was lodged under the padding in left. Whether that’s actually a reviewable call or not is unclear, but the umps did go approve the replay and then overturned their original call, putting Desmond back at second base.
The overturn certainly seemed like the right call. While the ball wasn’t truly “stuck,” as Upton showed by how easy he grabbed it, it was lodged in between the ground and the padding, which unfortunately comes to a stop about a ball’s width from the ground. Upton did the smart thing, at least until he went and eventually grabbed it and left no proof of the ball’s placement for Hudson to examine.
- George Springer placed on 7-day concussion disabled list 0
- Video: Joey Votto ejected, bumps umpire 14
- Carlos Rodon to make first MLB start Saturday 1
- Bryce Harper’s underrated day: Three at-bats, three homers 42
- Tigers, doctors clear Justin Verlander to resume throwing 12
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 143
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 11
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (143)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (95)