Indians, Jason Kipnis reach a six-year, $52.5 million contract extension

Apr 4, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT

Cleveland Indians v Minnesota Twins Getty Images

Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that second baseman Jason Kipnis has signed a contract extension with the Indians. The details: $52.5 million over six years with an option for a seventh year. The deal was just officially announced by the team. There will be a press conference about it later this morning.

Kipnis, who turned 27 yesterday, is entering his third full season in the majors. For his career he’s a .270/.348/.423 hitter and made the All-Star team last year.

1. aresachaela - Apr 4, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Wow,,, Do Baseball players always receives this kind of ridiculous amount of money? I should have asked Renaado before about this…0…0..

• chacochicken - Apr 4, 2014 at 8:46 AM

The irony of “baseball is dying” when the NFL is literally helping kill it’s players for far less non-guaranteed money. This is actually a very good contract for a young 4-5 WAR player at 2B.

• renaado - Apr 4, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Ares please.. As a fellow friend of yours I’d suggest to be out on this site for now, you seriously need to know on how Baseball is truly a different sport than others and on how they handle it like a business. As you can see this Kipnis contract here is just a spec on how other MLB stars are getting paid in the Major Leagues. Please, I don’t wan’t you to embarrass yourself here let’s just talk out on this sometime tomorrow.

2. notthesicko - Apr 4, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Sounds like a steal for the Indians. Kipnis at under $9 million a year and they get out of the contract before he hits his late 30’s.

3. tribefever - Apr 4, 2014 at 8:55 AM

That a boys shapanetti. All hail to the Chief. Let’s go Tribe!!

4. r8rnuck - Apr 4, 2014 at 9:02 AM

love it!!

5. jcmeyer10 - Apr 4, 2014 at 10:08 AM

From dodging drug testers in the Cape League to 52 dollars over six. Doing better than I am, morally and monetarily.

• jcmeyer10 - Apr 4, 2014 at 10:42 AM

I work with a guy who hosted him. It is what it is.

• r8rnuck - Apr 4, 2014 at 11:21 AM

oh well that totally validates your statement then…
        i’m quite sure a lot of people are doing better than you given that you have to come up with this.
        did he bang your gf?? or lets get more consistent…the gf of the guy you worked with??

• jcmeyer10 - Apr 4, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Haha, I don’t know if he slept with his wife. Total possibility. All I know is when he was in the Cape League he asked his host to say he didn’t know where he was if they asked. I have no reason to doubt my co-worker. You have no reason to believe me but I can assure you I would not say these things without some reason.

Like I said, you don’t have to believe me or with the logical conclusion. He might be the guy who would have been on the fence if he didn’t get some help.

I believe, for the most part my track record would say I am not a troll. It’s just something to think about.

6. chiadam - Apr 4, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Seems a tad much for a Jason Kipnis, but OK.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3398)