Apr 4, 2014, 9:49 PM EDT
In early March, the Rangers made an emergency signing of Joe Saunders to patch up their injury-ravaged rotation, having lost Derek Holland and Matt Harrison. The Rangers had another scare when Yu Darvish was forced to miss his Opening Day start due to a neck injury, though he didn’t require a stint on the disabled list. This is pitchers only, mind you, as the Rangers have also lost top prospect Jurickson Profar and catcher Geovany Soto. How much worse can it get?
Saunders was metaphorically hit hard by the Rays in his start on Friday night, allowing five runs (four earned) over 3 2/3 innings. But he was also literally hit hard, taking an Evan Longoria comebacker off of his left ankle. The Rangers removed him from the game and sent him to have X-rays taken. They turned up negative, reports Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, and Saunders was officially diagnosed with a bruised left ankle.
It remains to be seen if Saunders will have to miss his next start, but you can bet the Rangers are holding their breath.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 114
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 64
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (110)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)