Mark Teixeira suffers strained right hamstring

Apr 4, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT

Mark Teixeira AP

Yankees first baseman Mark Teixiera strained his right hamstring chasing after a foul ball in the second inning, ESPN’s Wallace Matthews reports. Teixeira knocked in a run with a single in his only at-bat before exiting. Kelly Johnson moved from third base to first base, Yangervis Solarte moved from second base to third base, and Brian Roberts entered the game to play second.

Teixeira, soon to be 34 years old, missed a majority of the 2013 season with an injury to the tendon sheath in his right wrist and underwent surgery in July. That was the big concern coming into the 2014 season, so an unrelated injury is only more concerning for the Yankees. As their infield realignment Friday night showed, the Yankees aren’t very well prepared to deal with another absent infielder — they will be without Alex Rodriguez for the duration of the season as well.

1. twinfan24 - Apr 4, 2014 at 9:47 PM

His days as a healthy, productive player are over. They only have this year and two more to pay him 22.5 million per year.

• 27ringsandcounting - Apr 4, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Sorry to disappoint all you yankee haters out there but it didnt look that bad. I would say maybe he’ll be out a couple weeks at the most if that. Yankee haters make me laugh.

• chc4 - Apr 4, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Until the next injury?

• lukedunphysscienceproject - Apr 4, 2014 at 11:42 PM

The way things are playing out (I know, I know- very small sample size) the Yankees might be better off with Johnson at first and Solarte at third anyway.

• President Charles Logan - Apr 4, 2014 at 11:53 PM

has nothing to do with being a yankee “hater” , were stating the fact that he’s over the hill and injury prone and that wrist will give out again eventually

• greymares - Apr 5, 2014 at 7:55 AM

That’s funny Yankee fans make me laugh.

• cackalackyank - Apr 5, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Sorry “rings”, I’m a Yankee fan for MANY years, and the Teixeira situation, given the lack of a solid backup, may actually be the teams biggest weakness. If this does turn out to be a grade 2 strain, and I cite the 2010 playoff injury as an example, he was quoted as 8-10 weeks recovery time for that. And that 4 years ago, when he was in playing shape. Last night he was quoted as saying he “doesn’t want to be on the DL, but he’s not super optimistic he’ll avoid it.” I am thinking he did not condition real well once he was cleared, because he also has committed 2 errors in 3.3 games. It’s not about being a “Yankee Hater” at all, its about taking a realistic look at the world without the rose colored glasses.

2. aresachaela - Apr 4, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Just watched a Fan ran down on the Field today on TV in Jays/Yankees game, and I’ve been watching a bunch of videos this happening now! Arrest that idiot for not calming his ass down! How dare that moron interrupt the Yankees game!

• rbj1 - Apr 4, 2014 at 10:01 PM

These days you don’t know what some one’s going to do running onto a playing surface. 30 days, $1000. And if a player feels threatened and does anything, well, sucks to be you.

Morganna days are over.

• aresachaela - Apr 4, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Who’s Morganna?0…0

• renaado - Apr 4, 2014 at 10:18 PM

I think he’s probably referring to the entertainer Morganna Roberts though.

• jwbiii - Apr 4, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Morganna the Kissing Bandit greets George Brett

• aresachaela - Apr 4, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Awww… It’s like Ren and I during our time in senior prom together :-).. So sweet. Thanks for showing this up jwbiii.

• renaado - Apr 4, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Out of all things….. Why in the hell would you put this up? Ares let’s not get of topic here alright… Or should I put it into our “Native Language” here you can definitely understand.

• aresachaela - Apr 4, 2014 at 11:39 PM

Jeez.. Fine fine, alright ! (Sigh….) you really take Baseball seriously on a different level Ren. I’ll try not doing this again next time, so don’t be mad okay :-).

• infieldhit - Apr 4, 2014 at 11:48 PM

No no, Morganna was more like: OO

• proudlycanadian - Apr 5, 2014 at 7:01 AM

Thanks for the memories of “The Kissing Bandit”.

• renaado - Apr 4, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Yeah… I saw that too in the 6th inning, some guy came running down when the Jays have a conference on the mound that time. Truly a stupid move by that fan right there for ruining the game there.

• aresachaela - Apr 4, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Hey Ren! Have you watched your Braves game this 2:30 a:m? I really hope you had your coffee during that time watching that. It really sucks this games are being shown early in the morning in our place. I’ve seen the boxscores of that game though It’s a close one.. Guess you won our bet today.0…0.

• renaado - Apr 4, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Keep your money! I know you won’t pay it anyways. Winning their game there was all enough for me.

• 27ringsandcounting - Apr 4, 2014 at 11:24 PM

How did he ruin the game? I am not defending the guy but it had no impact on the game.

• renaado - Apr 4, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Sorry, check that 27ringsandcounting. It was the 6th inning he ruined the part during that time.

3. bankboy2012 - Apr 4, 2014 at 9:52 PM

I suppose the bright side is it wasn’t his wrist but man, he’s falling apart fast.

4. gatorprof - Apr 4, 2014 at 10:03 PM

His new nickname is China Doll.

5. rcali - Apr 4, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Uh Oh, Yankee fans are not going to like the comments that are going to be coming to this blog. They got their Jeta jersey’s on and Thumbs Down clicker ready to go.

• 27ringsandcounting - Apr 4, 2014 at 10:36 PM

I love yankee haters. Its just so sad they would rather have the yankees lose than have their own team win.

• infieldhit - Apr 4, 2014 at 11:51 PM

I think it’s just that we’re not all fans of the same team, but we’re all fans of Yankees losses?

6. 1harrypairatesties - Apr 4, 2014 at 10:05 PM

This guy is hurt every year. He’s unreliable. Yanks should’ve tried to pry Prince Fielder from the Tigers before the Rangers did.

• aresachaela - Apr 4, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Let’s just say the Yankees get Fielder and then what? I just saw the MLB payroll yesterday and the Yankees stands at the no.2 standings behind the Dodgers, This Yankee team don’t need a Fat guy relying on power alone! If this happens do you really think they can get Ellsbury,Tanaka,McCann and Beltran if they pay Fielder a salary he can buy it with a Billion cheeseburgers !?

7. chiadam - Apr 4, 2014 at 10:55 PM

One day, GMs will learn that no position player should ever get more than five years on a deal, and most should only get three. Not one day soon, but eventually.

• lukedunphysscienceproject - Apr 4, 2014 at 11:39 PM

The funny thing is he signed that contract almost 6 years ago, and plenty of teams not named the Yankees have given out much longer and dumber deals since then.

• infieldhit - Apr 4, 2014 at 11:52 PM

“I know, I know, but maybe THIS time will be different!”

8. sixchr - Apr 5, 2014 at 12:15 AM

Didn’t take long for an old, injury prone team to come to fruition.

9. bronx77 - Apr 5, 2014 at 12:36 AM

Come to fruition? They are 2-2 and have been a relatively healthy team since spring training opened. I don’t get how the age is showing when they have one of the healthiest teams so far. Not saying it will stay this way but that’s a really small sample for everyone to be judging the Yankees on. I know half the team can go on the dl tomorrow. But anyone can pull a hamstring. It happens. Go yanks

10. pisano - Apr 5, 2014 at 1:13 AM

He should change his name to Nick Johnson, I see a lot of resemblance there.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 5, 2014 at 7:07 AM

Poor Nick! In recent years, there certainly has been a resemblance to Nick.

11. lazlosother - Apr 5, 2014 at 10:05 AM

As a NY fan I am offended at all these negative comments.

We had a smoldering tire fire for an infield already. On average they date to the cretaceous. They are more like monoliths than actual infielders. This was sort of expected by many, though some argued they couldn’t move fast enough to hurt themselves. I think we need to put a positive spin on this one, as in thank heavens no limbs actually flew off.

They did win, and Tanaka looked pretty good after the first couple innings. Could be a weirdly interesting year for the empire.

• greymares - Apr 5, 2014 at 12:27 PM

If weirdly interesting means 4th place in the division, I agree

12. clem1980 - Apr 6, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Brian Cashman saw this coming with all the age on this team, and he constructed a roster with more role-players and utility players than in past years. Tex is about done, his body type prone to these types of conditioning and flexibility injuries late in his career than when he was younger and very durable. But the signs are there that there is enough depth and quality on the bench to keep the Yanks in contention this season. But they need to get younger next year or there’s gonna be trouble down the road.

Orioles turn AL East on its head