Apr 4, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
On the one hand, as Aaron once pointed out (and got killed for it), the 2,000-hit club is not the most exclusive club on the planet. On the other hand, Miguel Cabrera is accelerating right the heck past 2,000 while still firmly in his prime, so it’s not like it’s the only club he’s going to belong to.
And he definitely has his foot on the gas today. Cabrera is 4-for-5 with three RBI against the Orioles this afternoon, and his fourth hit was number 2,000. And it was a two-run homer. It was his first homer on the year and the three RBIs today are his first three of the season.
The Tigers are leading 10-2 as I type this. And the best active hitter in baseball is a big reason why. Welcome to the club, Miguel.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)