Apr 4, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that the Rays have had “serious extension talks” with Yunel Escobar. He says that while it’s not imminent, it would not be surprising to see an extension sometime soon. Robbie Knopf of Rays Colored Glasses first wrote about extension talks between the two sides yesterday afternoon.
The Rays have a $5 million club option on Escobar for 2015 before he hits free agency after that season. He hit .256/.332/.366 with nine home runs and 56 RBI during his first season with the Rays. He’s an above average defensive shortstop.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (226)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)