Apr 4, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that the Rays have had “serious extension talks” with Yunel Escobar. He says that while it’s not imminent, it would not be surprising to see an extension sometime soon. Robbie Knopf of Rays Colored Glasses first wrote about extension talks between the two sides yesterday afternoon.
The Rays have a $5 million club option on Escobar for 2015 before he hits free agency after that season. He hit .256/.332/.366 with nine home runs and 56 RBI during his first season with the Rays. He’s an above average defensive shortstop.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 25
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)