Apr 4, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
As we noted yesterday, the Cubs are seeking minority investors in order to help fund the renovations to Wrigley Field and the development of the neighborhood around the ballpark. One potential investor? The most famous investor of them all:
Warren Buffett, the world’s fourth-richest person, is interested in investing in the Chicago Cubs, according to a source who traded candor for anonymity . . . The Ricketts family hails from Omaha, the same city that is home to Buffett’s holding company, Berkshire Hathaway .
Buffett has baseball ownership experience. Or at least investing experience, as he owned a minority share of the Omaha Triple-A team, so it’s not totally foreign territory for him.
It would be interesting, though, as being a minority shareholder in a closely held baseball team like the Cubs would give him little if any say in how the asset is managed. In a lot of ways doing that is a vanity investment, and Buffet is a lot of things, but a vanity investor is not one of them.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)