Yasiel Puig shows up late to the ballpark today, gets benched

Apr 4, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT

Dude. I’ve done my damndest to defend you, but at some point you gotta help me help you:

Kemp was supposed to sit this one out, but Mattingly has benched Puig. Which — my past defenses of him notwithstanding — is exactly what he should do in this situation. Do the crime, such as it is, do the time.

My beef has never been with Mattingly or the Dodgers handling Puig the way he should be handled. It’s been about overreaction of the media with respect to his behavior and the implication that he’s not manageable via the same means via which any other ballplayer is subject.

This is a clear violation of Puig’s responsibilities. Mattingly has made him pay for it. Now let’s see if that’s good enough for everyone. I feel like it won’t be.

UPDATE: Nope, it isn’t. Read this for the most ridiculously over-heated response to this.

1. chargrz - Apr 4, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Puig=P.O.S.

• dcarroll73 - Apr 5, 2014 at 12:21 AM

Late for BP (not the game) ^= POS (or any other lousy slur) BTW I am a live-long Giants fan and I think people need to get off this kid’s case. Don Mattingly is apparently under some pressure to “look tough” but overreacting is not likey to help this situation (talk about feeding trolls.)

• jimeejohnson - Apr 5, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Thumbs downs courtesy of uptight wee-weepers.

2. myfriendbobsacamano - Apr 4, 2014 at 11:42 PM

This just in: Eagles release Puig

3. campcouch - Apr 5, 2014 at 3:00 AM

If this guy is such a pain,trade him…wait,he’s not THAT big of a pain. Baseball drama…really?

4. novasportsfan - Apr 5, 2014 at 7:20 AM

He is immature and this isn’t his first problem. They either need to send him down to the minors for a wake up call, bench him, or trade him. This is what is wrong with the youth of today, they think they are entitled to everything and don’t take responsibility for anything.

• jimeejohnson - Apr 5, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Been like that since the dawn of man.

5. dillongeeescapeplan - Apr 5, 2014 at 10:21 AM

He was late because he was busy eating babies.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3736)