Apr 5, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
One day after being benched in favor of Lucas Duda at first base, Ike Davis came up huge with a pinch-hit walk-off grand slam this afternoon to lead the Mets to a 6-3 victory over the Reds at Citi Field in New York.
The walk-off blast was set up after J.J. Hoover entered the ninth inning with a 3-2 lead. He walked the first batter, Juan Lagares, and Anthony Recker followed with a sacrifice bunt attempt. Lagares was originally ruled out at second base, but the play was reviewed and reversed when it was ruled that Lagares’ foot reached the bag before the throw. Ruben Tejada attempted to move the runners over to second and third base with a bunt, but couldn’t get one down in fair play and eventually drew a walk. Davis came up for pitcher Carlos Torres and ripped a pitch over the right field fence to end it.
This was the team’s first game-ending grand slam when trailing since Kevin McReynolds in 1991. Jordany Valdespin had a walk-off grand slam in a tie game against the Dodgers last April.
While it looked like Duda would get a chance to run away with the first base job, Mets manager Terry Collins said after today’s game that Davis will get the start tomorrow. For what it’s worth, he said that was the plan even before today’s walk-off blast. It seems that the front office prefers Duda over Davis, but we’re no closer to an answer here than we were yesterday. Still, if the competition continues to result in wins, the Mets won’t complain.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 17
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 7
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys (148)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)