Apr 5, 2014, 5:05 PM EST
One day after being benched in favor of Lucas Duda at first base, Ike Davis came up huge with a pinch-hit walk-off grand slam this afternoon to lead the Mets to a 6-3 victory over the Reds at Citi Field in New York.
The walk-off blast was set up after J.J. Hoover entered the ninth inning with a 3-2 lead. He walked the first batter, Juan Lagares, and Anthony Recker followed with a sacrifice bunt attempt. Lagares was originally ruled out at second base, but the play was reviewed and reversed when it was ruled that Lagares’ foot reached the bag before the throw. Ruben Tejada attempted to move the runners over to second and third base with a bunt, but couldn’t get one down in fair play and eventually drew a walk. Davis came up for pitcher Carlos Torres and ripped a pitch over the right field fence to end it.
This was the team’s first game-ending grand slam when trailing since Kevin McReynolds in 1991. Jordany Valdespin had a walk-off grand slam in a tie game against the Dodgers last April.
While it looked like Duda would get a chance to run away with the first base job, Mets manager Terry Collins said after today’s game that Davis will get the start tomorrow. For what it’s worth, he said that was the plan even before today’s walk-off blast. It seems that the front office prefers Duda over Davis, but we’re no closer to an answer here than we were yesterday. Still, if the competition continues to result in wins, the Mets won’t complain.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:45 PM EST
Don’t. Praise. The. Machine.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:48 PM EST
Hart is attempting to resurrect his career on a one-year deal as a part-timer in Pittsburgh.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:27 PM EST
Shocking, I know.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:50 AM EST
GM says “they’re not going to play him for a little while.”
Mar 2, 2015, 11:33 AM EST
Howard Johnson is right!
Mar 2, 2015, 11:19 AM EST
Detroit owes him $28 million per season through 2019.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:09 AM EST
It happened to Wynton Bernard anyway.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:47 AM EST
Since shifting to the bullpen full time in 2011 the Minnesota native has a 2.74 ERA and 286/63 K/BB ratio in 256 innings.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:15 AM EST
Axford had a 3.92 ERA and 63/36 K/BB ratio in 55 innings for the Indians last season.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:03 AM EST
At least one columnist thinks this is a big problem. Is it?
Mar 2, 2015, 9:15 AM EST
Patrick Dubuque of The Hardball Times mounts an in-depth study of the Peanuts’ Gang’s manager.
Mar 2, 2015, 8:17 AM EST
The lives of a couple of “Moneyball” players serves as a jumping off point for a good Monday morning rant.
Mar 1, 2015, 10:25 PM EST
Though pitching prospect Carlos Rodon is taking over for Chris Sale, he likely isn’t pitching for an Opening Day role with the White Sox.
Mar 1, 2015, 9:20 PM EST
Yoenis Cespedes could see himself wearing a Tigers uniform for many years.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:15 PM EST
Bryce Harper wants to do more to help out on offense for the Nationals.
Mar 1, 2015, 7:10 PM EST
Yu Darvish was colorful in responding to critics who think he quit on the Rangers last year due to an elbow injury.
Mar 1, 2015, 6:05 PM EST
The Phillies kicked off the spring with a loss to a college team.
Mar 1, 2015, 3:24 PM EST
There’s been some talk that Angels right-hander Garrett Richards might be ready for the beginning of the 2015 regular season despite tearing the patellar tendon in his left knee last August. But manager Mike Scioscia put that to rest Sunday in camp …
Mar 1, 2015, 1:51 PM EST
MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro provides the visual evidence …
Mar 1, 2015, 11:33 AM EST
From the official Twitter account of the Los Angeles Dodgers …
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)