Apr 5, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
One day after being benched in favor of Lucas Duda at first base, Ike Davis came up huge with a pinch-hit walk-off grand slam this afternoon to lead the Mets to a 6-3 victory over the Reds at Citi Field in New York.
The walk-off blast was set up after J.J. Hoover entered the ninth inning with a 3-2 lead. He walked the first batter, Juan Lagares, and Anthony Recker followed with a sacrifice bunt attempt. Lagares was originally ruled out at second base, but the play was reviewed and reversed when it was ruled that Lagares’ foot reached the bag before the throw. Ruben Tejada attempted to move the runners over to second and third base with a bunt, but couldn’t get one down in fair play and eventually drew a walk. Davis came up for pitcher Carlos Torres and ripped a pitch over the right field fence to end it.
This was the team’s first game-ending grand slam when trailing since Kevin McReynolds in 1991. Jordany Valdespin had a walk-off grand slam in a tie game against the Dodgers last April.
While it looked like Duda would get a chance to run away with the first base job, Mets manager Terry Collins said after today’s game that Davis will get the start tomorrow. For what it’s worth, he said that was the plan even before today’s walk-off blast. It seems that the front office prefers Duda over Davis, but we’re no closer to an answer here than we were yesterday. Still, if the competition continues to result in wins, the Mets won’t complain.
Jul 4, 2015, 9:42 AM EDT
Cabrera is headed to the disabled list for the first time in his 13-year major league career.
Jul 4, 2015, 8:55 AM EDT
A quick recap of a busy Friday, including a walk-off win for the Yankees.
Jul 4, 2015, 12:58 AM EDT
In a shocking move, the Rangers designated Neftali Feliz for assignment to clear roster space for Matt Harrison.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:45 PM EDT
Base Ba’al has no mercy for Coco Crisp.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:05 PM EDT
The Mets are VERY interested in Ben Zobrist.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:10 PM EDT
The Mets are getting desperate for runs, but aren’t ready to rush prospect Michael Conforto just yet.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
Miguel Cabrera suffered a calf injury after a single in the fourth inning on Friday against the Blue Jays.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:08 PM EDT
Anibal Sanchez has silenced a tough Blue Jays lineup.
Jul 3, 2015, 8:35 PM EDT
Patrick Corbin will complete his long trek back to the major leagues when he starts against the Rockies on Saturday.
Jul 3, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
The Athletics haven’t used Josh Reddick much against left-handed starters. Reddick isn’t too happy with that, despite his results against southpaws.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT
Jameson Taillon was getting pretty close to returning to action for the Pirates, but an inguinal hernia has knocked him back on the shelf.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
The Cubs acquired Clayton Richard from the Pirates and he’ll start for the club on Saturday.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:40 PM EDT
Jul 3, 2015, 3:52 PM EDT
Both he and the White Sox have disappointed this year, but he could help a contender.
Jul 3, 2015, 3:11 PM EDT
Chamberlain has posted a 4.09 ERA and an ugly 1.682 WHIP in 30 appearances this year. Gorzelanny has been even worse.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:13 PM EDT
$3.5 million will be paid out . . . to charity.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
He’s only had six plate appearances since being recalled in late June.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
And, someone, Tony La Russa placed in this thing.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:37 AM EDT
He changed his mind.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
“We’ll leave it at that.”
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 3
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 5
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 21
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 88
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)