Apr 5, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT
UPDATE: Per Dan Barbarisi of the Wall Street Journal, Yankees manager Joe Girardi confirmed this morning that Teixeira will go on the disabled list. Austin Romine will replace him on the active roster.
10:53 a.m. ET: Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira was forced to exit last night’s game against the Blue Jays due to a strained right hamstring and it sounds like a stint on the disabled list is in his future.
Teixeira suffered the injury while chasing after a foul ball in the second inning. According to Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York, he will undergo an MRI when the team returns to New York on Monday, but it doesn’t look promising.
“We’ll see how it feels in the morning, but I’m not super optimistic about it,” he said.
“I definitely don’t want to go on the DL. I’m really hoping that tomorrow morning, I wake up, we go through some stuff with the doctors and it feels good. But we’ll see.”
Teixiera was limited to just 15 games last season due to a torn tendon sheath in his right wrist that required surgery. The Yankees have little in the way of depth behind him and will likely be forced to go with Kelly Johnson at first base and Yangervis Solarte at the hot corner during his absence. And that’s not ideal.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 0
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 37
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 23
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)