Mark Teixeira placed on disabled list with hamstring strain

Apr 5, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT

Mark Teixeira Getty Getty Images

UPDATE: Per Dan Barbarisi of the Wall Street Journal, Yankees manager Joe Girardi confirmed this morning that Teixeira will go on the disabled list. Austin Romine will replace him on the active roster.

10:53 a.m. ET: Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira was forced to exit last night’s game against the Blue Jays due to a strained right hamstring and it sounds like a stint on the disabled list is in his future.

Teixeira suffered the injury while chasing after a foul ball in the second inning. According to Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York, he will undergo an MRI when the team returns to New York on Monday, but it doesn’t look promising.

“We’ll see how it feels in the morning, but I’m not super optimistic about it,” he said.

“I definitely don’t want to go on the DL. I’m really hoping that tomorrow morning, I wake up, we go through some stuff with the doctors and it feels good. But we’ll see.”

Teixiera was limited to just 15 games last season due to a torn tendon sheath in his right wrist that required surgery. The Yankees have little in the way of depth behind him and will likely be forced to go with Kelly Johnson at first base and Yangervis Solarte at the hot corner during his absence. And that’s not ideal.

1. proudlycanadian - Apr 5, 2014 at 10:59 AM

It was a rather innocent looking play. I was surprised that he ended up with the injury.

• cohnjusack - Apr 5, 2014 at 11:26 AM

It can happen…

Remember in 2005 when Hee-Seop Choi ran into Scott Rolen. It didn’t look like he ran into him very hard and was pretty innocent looking. The result was that it destroyed Scott Rolen’s shoulder, he missed the rest of 2005 and his career was never the same.

• drewsylvania - Apr 5, 2014 at 12:01 PM

It’s Teixeira. Like much of the roster, he’s old and injury-prone. This year will be much like last year unless the Yankees find a lot of unexpected value from other players.

2. ckhoss29 - Apr 5, 2014 at 11:01 AM

I don’t know why people keep picking the Yankees to go to the playoffs. They are a bunch of overpriced old men. Sabathia looks like he aged 10 years, Jeter cant play short anymore, Tex can’t stay healthy, and Arod is banned from the team. It will take some magic from Girardi and co.

• lukedunphysscienceproject - Apr 5, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Straw Man Alert!! I reviewed at least a dozen “Season Previews” and didn’t see a single one that predicted that the Yankees would make the postseason. The vast majority have them finishing no higher than third.

• nbjays - Apr 5, 2014 at 1:07 PM

I think he’s referring more to Yankee fans than sportswriters.

3. aresachaela - Apr 5, 2014 at 11:06 AM

I’d say.. Trade him NOW! The Yankees are better off without him anyways.

• renaado - Apr 5, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Ares.. Calm down, it’s still to early in the season thinking stuffs like that. Just be glad your Yankees won today.

• aresachaela - Apr 5, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Yeah Ren they’ve won :-D! Without Texiera though, but still Tanaka debut is strong in those 7 innings, he may be struggling in the early innings but progressed so far in the late innings.

• aresachaela - Apr 5, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Also. I won’t calm down unless he pack his fragile bones and his useless 2 year contract left out of that Yankee uniform!

• renaado - Apr 5, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Well if you think of it that way, I still respect your opinion Ares but just so remember their are other guys here who wouldn’t like that, just a friendly reminder to you on how loyal they are on their players that helped them win a championship okay. Other thing… You do know it’s already 12:26 am right? A girl like you shouldn’t be out this late so you really need to go to sleep now so that you won’t wake up late watching your Yankees game tomorrow :-).

• lukedunphysscienceproject - Apr 5, 2014 at 11:50 AM

For who? For what? What do you think you are getting in exchange for a 33 year old, 60 game a year (if you’re lucky) $22.5 million dollar first baseman? They are stuck with him. Just be happy he has only 2 years left on his deal. You could be an Angels fan and be looking at 8 more years of already 34 year old Albert Pujols.

• aresachaela - Apr 5, 2014 at 12:03 PM

For who? A younger player who can play 1st base ! Yes the Yankees have the WORST farm system but they really need to find a young player capable of playing that position knowing that Texiera is now getting fragile and now coming to his age, Even though he only has 2yrs left on his contract what will he do to contribute then? Heading back and forth from the DL or rehab will not help him nor the Yankees. Also he shouldn’t be remembered on what accomplishments he has done in the past but rather on what he’ll do to contribute on helping this team in this today’s regular season.

• lukedunphysscienceproject - Apr 5, 2014 at 12:32 PM

You completely missed the point of my post. Who they would get for him is irrelevant (although I admit I opened up the debate by starting my post with “for who?”). The point is that if someone has a competent young player that is capable of being an everyday major league first baseman, they are not trading him to you for the decaying carcass of Mark Teixeira.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Apr 5, 2014 at 12:36 PM

You do understand the idea of a trade is for each team involved to get some value in return for what it is giving up, right? Based on your comments, I get the feeling you think other teams should just feel obliged to do the Yankees a solid and give them a useful player in exchange for a not-so-useful player. But surely you aren’t that clueless, so there must be some other explanation …

• renaado - Apr 5, 2014 at 12:50 PM

I think what she’s saying might be just “If” they do didn’t find a suitable trade for Mark the Yankees should be better off releasing him or lets just say if they DO find a suitable trade for him knowing just for his name and veteran experience alone he might receive some offers from other teams, even though he might not play or contribute like he did in the past for em i’m pretty sure he might help younger guys out there even only as a bench player.

• renaado - Apr 5, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Take it easy on her guys.. I just introduce her the game of Baseball just for almost 2 months now. She only has a little bit of knowledge on how to understand the basis of contracts but she definitely know the game of play works, she’s just expressing her opinion on what’s probably best for the team to win a championship and just so happens my friend here likes the Yankees, and no she’s no Angels fan lukedunphysscienceproject i can tell you that.

• lukedunphysscienceproject - Apr 5, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Sorry. I guess we always assume everyone on here is hitting from the same tees (sorry for the golf reference). I think you need to take the way people reply to you with a grain of salt. I know that no matter what I post, I never mean it personally and I never take it personally when people respond to me.

To put a final point on the Tex issue, he was a critical piece of a World Series winning team in 2009. He struggled in the post season, but you could argue that the Yanks don’t even get there without his regular season performance. That’s what they paid for, and now we have to live with consequences. He’s untradeable, and we’ve got to more years of him.

• deathmonkey41 - Apr 5, 2014 at 7:05 PM

“What do you think you are getting in exchange for a 33 year old, 60 game a year (if you’re lucky) $22.5 million dollar first baseman?”

You forgot the part about him being a one dimensional hitter. They could put all 7 fielders on the right side of second base when he’s batting lefty, and Tex would still try to pull the ball. If they could trade him for a bag of baseballs and someone to take on any of that contract, I would say take it. But I doubt any teams would even offer that.

• lukedunphysscienceproject - Apr 5, 2014 at 7:09 PM

I didn’t forget, I just figured I had enough with “33 year old, 60 game a year, $22.5M first baseman”. If I wanted to pile on, there’s lots more I could have included.

• chiadam - Apr 5, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Part of trading a player is having someone to trade him to. No one wants him. No one would even take him if NY paid 90% of his remaining contract, which they would certainly have to do. You can’t just wave a wand and trade an old, broken-down player with a bloated contract for a young, capable replacement.

4. lukedunphysscienceproject - Apr 5, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Trust me, Yankee fans aren’t super optimistic if Mark wakes up with a headache.

Don’t sweat it, Tex, no one was expecting you to be able to stay on the field. I suppose it would have been nice if you could have made it to the home opener, but what can you do.

And, at the risk of the “small sample size” police swooping down on me with tasers drawn, I’m not sure there is that big a drop off between the Teixeira/Johnson corner combo and the Johnson/Solarte combo, based upon early returns.

• drewsylvania - Apr 5, 2014 at 12:02 PM

True. Both options are lousy.

• cackalackyank - Apr 5, 2014 at 9:54 PM

luke I’ll take the small sample size and run with it hands down. Unless Solarte develops hamhands and the scouts nullify what he’s able to do with the bat once he’s made the rounds through the league, I will take him just about every day over Tex. The only thing I see missing right now is hitting for power. Somebody needs to start hitting some “bombs” for the Bronx Bombers.

• lukedunphysscienceproject - Apr 6, 2014 at 12:30 AM

You’re exactly right. The problem is the only guys hitting are the on-base guys. None of the power guys are hitting for s*** right now. That 3rd strike Soriano swung at was a ball before it left the pitchers hand. The pitching and defense have been great (CC excepted), now they just need some timely hits.

5. luz56 - Apr 5, 2014 at 11:13 AM

You cannot educate stupidity when it comes to NY Yankess and free agency…

• lukedunphysscienceproject - Apr 5, 2014 at 11:45 AM

LOL- they signed him SIX years ago and he was a key player on a World Series Champion. You’re right, that’s much worse than what the Angels did with Pujols, or Hamilton. Only the Yankees give out bad free agent contracts.

Nothing funnier than Yankee haters.

• drewsylvania - Apr 5, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Has less to do with free agency than the gutting of their farm system years ago. Plus, most Yankees prospects took a step back in 2013. A weak farm system means relying on free agents. Which simply isn’t a good strategy for winning unless you’re a) willing to spend huge amounts of money, and b) have a good eye for the right players to get.

Lately, the Yankees haven’t been willing to spend to keep all their good players (see Cano)–and they’re making questionable decisions in free agency.

This isn’t going to go well for them. Maybe the Dodgers will bail them out like they did the Red Sox with Crawford, Gonzalez, and Beckett.

• lukedunphysscienceproject - Apr 5, 2014 at 12:39 PM

LOL. The Yankees can’t win. They let a player walk when another team’s owner and GM lose their minds and offer them an absurd contract, and all of the sudden they aren’t “willing to spend to keep their good players”.

• drewsylvania - Apr 5, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Yeah, that was kind of a dumb comment by me. The only example I can see is Cano.

But Cano’s contract wasn’t absurd. He’s that much better than Ellsbury.

• jwbiii - Apr 5, 2014 at 3:13 PM

The problem with that is the Dodgers already have Adrian Gonzalez. I’d much rather have Gonzalez for 5/$102.5m than Teixeira for 3/$67.5m. Gonzalez might become bad and/or hurt over the remainder of his contract; Teixeira is a certainty.

• Reflex - Apr 5, 2014 at 9:25 PM

There was nothing absurd about Cano’s contract. Lots of huge contracts flew last offseason. Cano’s was the largest, but he was by far the best player available. Replacing him has proven impossible for the Yanks, while there are and always have been several outfielders available each offseason. Getting Cano back, adding Beltran and spending a lot less on a lesser corner outfielder would have likely been the far better deal for the Yanks.

6. pisano - Apr 5, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Who could have seen this coming? Nick Johnson, part 2

• drewsylvania - Apr 5, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Lots of people saw it coming.

• lukedunphysscienceproject - Apr 5, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Did I miss the season where Nick Johnson led the AL in homers and RBI on a World Series winning team?

7. caeser12 - Apr 5, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Helen Keller told me she saw this coming.

Smh.

Get well soon Tex, I guess.

Go NY.

8. cackalackyank - Apr 5, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Let’s leave 2009 out of this discussion for a minute. Now I have to say if you leave that year out of the discussion, by the time all is said and done, the Teixeira deal may turn out worse than the A-rod deal. Even sadder still… the Red Sox almost wound up with BOTH of them. (In which case they’d be playing for the Dodgers)

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3013)