Apr 5, 2014, 3:18 PM EST
The Pirates announced this afternoon that they have given contract extensions to manager Clint Hurdle and general manager Neal Huntington. Both are now signed through 2017 with club options for 2018.
Here’s part of the announcement from Pirates President Frank Coonelly:
“Neal and Clint have led a team of baseball professionals, in the front office and on the field, that has transformed the Pittsburgh Pirates into a club that again must be reckoned with in the National League,” said Coonelly. “We are extremely pleased that they will continue to lead this team in Pittsburgh.”
“I have a tremendous amount of personal respect and appreciation for the impact that Neal, Clint and their staffs have had on our organization,” said Pirates Chairman Bob Nutting. “My expectation has been and remains that they, led by Frank, will continue to play a lead role in our success for years to come.”
Hard to say it’s not deserved, as the good feelings are flowing in Pittsburgh after a 94-win season and the team’s first postseason appearance since 1992.
Huntington has been senior vice president and general manager of the Pirates since September of 2007. There have been some lean times for the franchise, but the hard work his begun to pay dividends, with exciting young players on the major league roster and a strong farm system in place. Hurdle has been manager of the Pirates since the 2011 season and owns a 248-242 record (.506 winning percentage) at the helm.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)