Apr 5, 2014, 3:18 PM EDT
The Pirates announced this afternoon that they have given contract extensions to manager Clint Hurdle and general manager Neal Huntington. Both are now signed through 2017 with club options for 2018.
Here’s part of the announcement from Pirates President Frank Coonelly:
“Neal and Clint have led a team of baseball professionals, in the front office and on the field, that has transformed the Pittsburgh Pirates into a club that again must be reckoned with in the National League,” said Coonelly. “We are extremely pleased that they will continue to lead this team in Pittsburgh.”
“I have a tremendous amount of personal respect and appreciation for the impact that Neal, Clint and their staffs have had on our organization,” said Pirates Chairman Bob Nutting. “My expectation has been and remains that they, led by Frank, will continue to play a lead role in our success for years to come.”
Hard to say it’s not deserved, as the good feelings are flowing in Pittsburgh after a 94-win season and the team’s first postseason appearance since 1992.
Huntington has been senior vice president and general manager of the Pirates since September of 2007. There have been some lean times for the franchise, but the hard work his begun to pay dividends, with exciting young players on the major league roster and a strong farm system in place. Hurdle has been manager of the Pirates since the 2011 season and owns a 248-242 record (.506 winning percentage) at the helm.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)