Apr 5, 2014, 5:24 PM EDT
Escobar will be guaranteed $13 million over the life of the deal, which covers 2015 and 2016 and carries a club option for 2017. His previous contract included a club option for 2015, so the new deal simply replaces the old one.
Escobar, 31, was acquired from the Marlins last winter and hit .256/.332/.336 with nine home runs and 56 RBI over 153 games in 2013. He’s highly-regarded for his defensive abilities.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 99
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 2
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 132
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (132)
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (124)