Apr 5, 2014, 4:48 PM EDT
If all goes according to plan, the Reds will have their starting catcher and fill-in closer on the roster early next week.
According to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Reds manager Bryan Price said today that catcher Devin Mesoraco is on track to be activated from the disabled list on Monday or Tuesday. The 25-year-old backstop suffered an oblique injury toward the end of spring training, but he has made it through two minor league rehab games with Double-A Pensacola without incident.
As for Broxton, he is expected to be activated on Tuesday. The veteran right-hander began the year on the disabled list following forearm surgery last August, but he struck out two over a scoreless inning last night in Double-A. Despite putting up a mediocre 4.11 ERA and 25/12 K/BB ratio over 30 2/3 innings last season when healthy, Broxton is expected to be used in the closer role until Aroldis Chapman is ready to return.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)