Apr 5, 2014, 4:48 PM EDT
If all goes according to plan, the Reds will have their starting catcher and fill-in closer on the roster early next week.
According to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Reds manager Bryan Price said today that catcher Devin Mesoraco is on track to be activated from the disabled list on Monday or Tuesday. The 25-year-old backstop suffered an oblique injury toward the end of spring training, but he has made it through two minor league rehab games with Double-A Pensacola without incident.
As for Broxton, he is expected to be activated on Tuesday. The veteran right-hander began the year on the disabled list following forearm surgery last August, but he struck out two over a scoreless inning last night in Double-A. Despite putting up a mediocre 4.11 ERA and 25/12 K/BB ratio over 30 2/3 innings last season when healthy, Broxton is expected to be used in the closer role until Aroldis Chapman is ready to return.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 1
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 15
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 44
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)