Apr 5, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Andy Martino of the New York Daily News reported yesterday that the Mets see trading Ike Davis as the “as the likely endgame” and today he dropped an interesting nugget about a proposal the team turned down over the winter:
My reporting on Friday led me to these conclusions: Just as in the offseason, the Mets are eager to move Davis — but also just as in the offseason, they want a decent return. Despite their preference for Duda, the Mets have declined several trade proposals for Davis in recent months, including Baltimore’s offer of pitcher Zach Britton, according to a person briefed on talks between the two clubs (that person said the Orioles now consider that deal off the table).
With his elite ground ball rate, Britton could have been an asset as a back-end starter or middle reliever, but the Mets reportedly aimed higher for Davis, asking the Orioles for prospect left-hander Eduardo Rodriguez. They didn’t bite and it appears that Baltimore has moved on. For what it’s worth, Joel Sherman of the New York Post reported in February that the Mets turned down a deal from the Rays over the winter that would have netted them outfielder Matt Joyce. Of course, that was before the Rays re-signed James Loney.
The Mets are currently giving Lucas Duda a trial run as their starting first baseman. So far, so good, as he launched a pair of two-run homers last night against the Reds to propel New York to their first victory of the season. Dealing Davis might be the endgame here, but his trade value isn’t going to improve on the bench.
UPDATE: A game-winning grand slam might improve his value. Just call this a perfectly-timed post.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)