Settling the Score: Friday’s results

Apr 5, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT

Marlins AP AP

What the heck is going on in Miami? The Marlins stayed hot last night, pounding out 13 hits in an 8-2 victory over the Padres. They are now 4-1 on the young season.

I’m sure you saw Giancarlo Stanton‘s monster home run against Eric Stults. If you haven’t, watch this. I mean it. But the Marlins also got four hits from the red-hot Adeiny Hechavarria out of the leadoff spot and three hits out of offseason acquisition Jarrod Saltalamacchia. Casey McGehee knocked in two more runs and currently leads the majors with 10 RBI. Not bad for a guy who didn’t play in MLB last season.

The Marlins have scored 35 runs over their first five games this season, more than anybody else in the majors. It took them until their 17th game last season to reach 35 runs scored. They surely can’t continue at this torrid pace, but it’s a nice start for a team who some feel could hop over both the Phillies and the Mets in the National League East this year.

Your Friday box scores:

Reds 3, Mets 4

Rangers 1, Rays 8

Cardinals 2, Pirates 12

Angels 11, Astros 1

Mariners/Athletics – PPD

1. westcoastredbird - Apr 5, 2014 at 9:17 AM

The Cardinal/Pirate game was not as close as the score indicates. That smoke you see in the Cards pen is coming from the grease fire that is their middle relief. Guys spring training is over!

• umrguy42 - Apr 5, 2014 at 12:21 PM

What’s with the errors in every game? I’m out of market, and usually don’t get to watch, so I normally just keep tabs on things on my phone, and I swear they’ve had at least one error every game so far this year…

2. indaburg - Apr 5, 2014 at 9:35 AM

I was going to ask Old Gator what the hell has gotten into the Marlins. Small sample size (Hechavarria’s BABIP is .611–that ain’t gonna last) and baseball is littered with the graves of teams who started hot to only flame out, but is it a stretch to say this team is better than the Phillies and Mets?

• Old Gator - Apr 5, 2014 at 11:42 AM

It’s still early. I know, I know. Does this look like a better team than last year? Well yeah, at the very least because all of the young guys have a year under their belts, especially the rotation. However, they’ve faced pretty mediocre pitching so far. Buried in their early success was game 3 against the Rocky Mountain Oysters, where they reverted to their old ways with RISP and limped orf the field after being unable to come back in the seventh, eighth and ninth innings. That sure looked familiar. However, on this count, being rid of Tweeter in the five spot was like addition by subtraction. Until Garret Jones proves himself as inept with opportunity as the mammophobic mantis man, you have to view the production situation as better now.

I look for the outfield triumverate of Yelich, Ozuna and the Iron Giant to show improvement at the plate – Yelich and Ozuna because they’re a year older and more confident; the Giant because he’s starting the season healthy for a change. The big guy still has some bad habits at the plate even if he looks improved and more disciplined. He still chases those low and away pitches and once he breaks that habit you should see some bloat in his slash line. Marisnick will be back up sooner or later and we’ll see if he gets some traction he couldn’t generate last season.

Saltalamacchia is a mega-improvement behind the plate and at it. He was the Feesh’s only significant orfseason acquisition. He got off to a slow start but has really picked it up his last two games. The Feesh got no production to speak of from their not-yet-ready-for-prime-time tandem of Mathis and Brantly last season. They would have improved if they’d replaced them with a cardboard cutout behind the plate. As far as the scrapheap pickups like McGehee, Jones, Johnson and Baker, I plan to enjoy it while it lasts, but I don’t think it’s gunna. You gotta love Casey McGehee because he’s got a Munsonesque blue collar get-it-done attitude, though he’s also your roly-poly happy face type too, and so far he delivers like a pizza boy. It’s possible that playing up around Sendai last year he received a badge-yellowing dose of radiation and has mutated into another Pete Rose, but I suspect he’s just a new face the opposing pitchers haven’s solved yet.

Better than the Mutts and Feelies? Than the Mutts yes, due mainly to the hot young rotation. Than the Feelies? I’ll withhold judgement until I see ‘em go head to head.

• natstowngreg - Apr 5, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Count me as one who thinks the Fish could finish 3rd. I agree with Gator’s analysis, but think the pitching could be good enough to overcome the other problems. Also, the Phillies’ continued reliance on old players makes them vulnerable to being passed.

The Fish will get a test next week when they visit Nats Park. Thursday may be Fernandez vs. Strasburg (alas, will be flying back from the Left Coast and will miss it).

• indaburg - Apr 5, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Fernandez vs. Strasburg on Thursday? Count me in. I’m writing it on the calendar.

That was very astute analysis on Gator’s part. I was expecting an answer like “irradiated mercury” as to what has gotten into the Fish.

• natstowngreg - Apr 15, 2014 at 7:47 AM

Too bad the matchup didn’t happen. For whatever reason, Redmond gave Fernandez an extra day of rest.

• indaburg - Apr 15, 2014 at 8:00 AM

I know; I was disappointed.

3. username5891 - Apr 5, 2014 at 9:39 AM

The Marlins might be able to keep this up. Everybody’s approach is a complete 180 from last year. They wait for their pitch, don’t chase and a lot of times kept innings alive by walking and the next guy coming up big with a 2 out hit. They have had a lot of 2 out RBIs. But let’s see how they hit against better pitching cuz they haven’t faced great pitching yet. But then again last year every pitcher, good and bad, was having a career day against us.

4. NYTolstoy - Apr 5, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Don’t want to take away from the Marlins but the Rockies pitching was putrid vs the fish. But hey with the improvements they made with a few signings they look like a team that can compete and atleast make a game interesting. Not saying there a 500 team but a team that people will watch maybe.

5. yahmule - Apr 5, 2014 at 10:50 AM

The Fish will become a lot more viable when they promote Andrew Heaney.

• Old Gator - Apr 5, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Heaney should be terrific but their big problems aren”t in the rotation to begin with. They’re scoring a lot of runs early against crummy staffs and they’re still underpowered for the long haul. But I plan to have fun with this while it lasts.

6. aresachaela - Apr 5, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Yes ! Awesome win for the Yankees today ! Tanaka’s pitching may be rough in the early innings but progressed so far in the late innings, not to mention striking out eight for the win ! Still, that fan who ran like some clown out there needs to be arrested.

7. historiophiliac - Apr 5, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Rajai Davis goes yard.

8. happytwinsfan - Apr 5, 2014 at 11:57 AM

last night god taught my jobian ass a lesson. i was unable to watch the twins game at the place they insist on calling work, but lo, a shower from the heavens hath delayed the game by several hours, meaning that the last few innings would be mine to watch after my arrival at a place where enjoyment is tolerated. hath god been touched by the travails of the april snowstorm?

deliberately ignorant of the game’s progress, i turn on the tv and the twins are behind by 5 runs in the eighth inning. not only that i have arrived too late to at least temporarily bask in the illusionary glow of pelfrey retiring the first 12 hitters before his mid game implosion. at this point my teacher’s voice becomes unavoidable; “thou shalt not see 500 this year”.

don’t forget to say your prayers, kyle gibson.

• historiophiliac - Apr 5, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Many years ago, my step-father was listening to the World Series on the radio while working. His boss walked past his desk and snapped: I don’t pay you to listen to games. My step-father responded: If you don’t pay me to listen to games, you can’t afford me. Fortunately, he was in a position where he could get away with that.

• happytwinsfan - Apr 5, 2014 at 2:47 PM

in a junior high (i think) english class i misadjusted the volume on my tiny, hidden transistor radio. when the national anthem for one of the 1968 world series games wafted through the classroom, this having happened in michigan, i was forgiven

• indaburg - Apr 5, 2014 at 7:27 PM

In my recovery room, if there is an afternoon game, the sounds of baseball on the radio are the first thing you will hear when you wake up.

What kind of boss minds his worker listening to the World Series? What a jerk! When I worked in the ER, I had every patient TV tuned in to the World Series. We had older televisions with a master remote. “So sorry, I don’t know what happened to the remote control!”

Sorry about your 9th inning today. While I enjoyed it–I like 9th inning dramatics that don’t involve my team and the O’s still lost–that was a little more adventurous than it needed to be. I did think of you.

• historiophiliac - Apr 6, 2014 at 12:03 AM

Twice in the last week I’ve had incidents where men at work came up on my listening to games at work — you know I rolled my eyes that they were surprised to find a woman listening to baseball. I thought of you. I like the way you run a recovery room/ER.

Tigers fans know what’s coming when they bring out Coke. Sigh. At least Nathan was good. If that had been Valverde, we’d have lost. At least we got the win in the end, and clearly, Beautiful Brad is going to be more aggressive about pulling pitchers who stink up the joint. Thank God. (Truthfully, it was exciting.)

9. rodge1 - Apr 5, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Go Marlins. They’re on pace to finish 161-1

• renaado - Apr 5, 2014 at 2:26 PM

(Cough….Cough…Cough..) Don’t even bother me givin me some medicine man cause I have some Solmux pills right here.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3974)